Used 2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Fourth Subaru....
By Kevin

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am the previous owner of a '77 awd wagon that I logged 300k on and a Legacy GT '02 and an Outback Legacy. I like this Sub the best except one thing. There is a small rattle coming from the rear hatch area that the dealer cannot fix after multiple visits. Just going to live with it. Car handles great and yes, it's worth more now than what I owe and I put nothing down! Really holds its value well. Fast enough for me with 168hp 4 cylinder and cruises easily with the automatic transmission. For those getting sub-par gas mileage ... change the air-filter+ oil frequently and use Chevron gas additive Techroline Plus. It makes a BIG difference. Was 20-22 now 25- 26mpg. I know this car will hold up for 300k.

Well balanced power/weight ratio, inexpensive for what you get, awd and great suspension. Reliable, Reliable, Reliable. Low maintenance, low insurance. Still have not seen a car '05 or '06 that I say -- OH I should have bought that car instead. The practical hatchback awd wagon that parks like a dream.

They made them in '05 -- better stereo, interior. In '05 they announced a premium package that only cost $500 for the stereo upgrade; 330watts/ leather accented s/wheel/shifter/brake, better rims and an upgraded cloth interior.

One year later
By Texasube

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Been a good little car and lots of fun to drive when driven hard. Fuel economy has been about 16/27 so far. Fine on long trips and it loves the corners. Car is a bit of work in the city, though. Always working to keep the revs in the power band and the constant rowing through the gearbox while going from one red light to another is tiring. But, that's more my problem than the car's so no penalty there.

Build quality is superb and having had several other Subes in the family I know it should be very reliable. Four spoke Momo wheel is cool too.

Outside temp to go with the auto-dimming compass mirror. Satellite radio option; also radio design makes it hard to modify.

Loving it
By Brad

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car; the look, the ride, the performance, everything about it. Highly recommended.

6-disk in dash CD. AWD.

No sunroof option.

Icy, Steep Hills? No Problem
By skilift

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for two reasons: for a 60 mile (round trip) commute to work each day and to get me up the hill to go skiing on the weekends. This car has performed admirably in both respects. I was pleasantly surprised by how well my Subaru handled snowy or icy, steep hills. I didn't find a hill all winter that I couldn't get up and it didn't matter where, or how, I parked, I never got stuck. And this was during a winter that the papers said was the area's most snowy since 1916. In addition, the car is comfortable for my commute. This is saying something considering I am 6'1". Observed mpg: 25-26 with ski racks; 28-30 w/o ski racks. Great vehicle for camping, too.

All-Wheel Drive; roof rack; headroom.

Sunroof option; better cupholders.

2.5 TS Automatic
By RJ

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've enjoyed this vehicle for over a year now. It is a great car; it makes driving in the city (Chicago) almost enjoyable.

AWD works great in the snow; easy to park and drive; engine sounds great.

Fuel economy; 2.5 L engine doesn't perform so well when coupled with the automatic transmission, I would like to see a little more power.