Used 2004 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 411 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

04 WRX wagon - high rpm, low gas mileage
By cbird

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is fun to drive, if you keep the rpm up to maintain turbo boost. The cost is your gas mileage, which has ranged from 16 to 20 mpg for me. My biggest complaint is the lack of low end torque, unless you rev the crap out of the engine. I love the interior! The material covering the form-fitting seats is great. Dashboard layout is attractive. While this car is fast and handles fantastically, with my aftermarket wheels and tires, the lack of low end torque has left me wanting. I'll either have to install some mods or get a different car.

AWD, turbo, seats.

This car needs more power off the line.

Fun sports car yet fuel efficient
By dgman

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my WRX for over 3 years now. I almost bought an 04 Mazda 6 instead but after driving each of them, I couldn't get the performance of the Subie out of my head. It is just too much fun to drive. The turbo is a different kind of fast, but the car is undeniably fast. If you are a "muscle car" person who thrives on low end torque, you won't like this car. The WRX is grippy and slow off the line and the power explodes at 3K RPM all the way to redline. Second gear is amazing. If you behave and drive nicely, you can get close to 30 MPG. The trunk is usable. I even have a child seat in the backseat. The car is a 5 star safety rated vehicle. Lots of great features.

Turbo charged engine. Short-throw shifter. Styling. 4 doors. Hugs curves. Low center of gravity boxer engine. AWD. Boost gauge.

Need 17" wheels (07 has them). Spoiler should be optional. Tinted windows should be optional (I tinted mine). Better stereo speakers. Compass. Outside temp.

Perfect for the enthusiast
By Josh

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

If you're not a sports car enthusiast, do not even test drive one of these cars. However for those of us who enjoy a performance car that has everything you need and nothing you don't. This is the car you need to have. Who cares about the ride comfort? I dont know about you but I didn't buy this car to be a luxurious sunday driver. The power is always there, turbo lag? Not really much of a factor if you know what you're doing. If the gas mileage were better I would take this car everywhere.

AWD+boost.

More horsepower.

You Only Live Once
By 04BlueSTI

This is an absolutely amazing car for the money! I have had mine for almost a month now, and have many upgrades. We can fit the carseat in the back, and as far as the insurance company knows, the STi is a four door family car. I traded in a mustang gt for the STI and love the trade. The STi has power, as well as being VERY economical. Gas mileage is good, when you're not wearing the lead shoes. And the dependability that Subaru offers is one that stands strong. It is hard to find a fast car that will never get stuck in the snow, but the Subaru did it.

Factory boost gauge, r/diff manual mode, Brembo brakes, STi racing seats.

Fix the brake dust problem and add some room in the back seat. Keep the 2007 spoiler.

Silver Outback Sport, Take 2!
By Drubaru

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After selling my '02 Outback Sport a year and a half ago, I finally made it back into the Subaru fold with the purchase of the '04 model. Both times I have been satisfied with my purchase. I miss the "bug-eyed" headlights and foglights from the '02, but everything else is pretty much aesthetically the same. I love the confidence I feel. I remember on a snowboarding trip in '03 being waved on by the Rangers at Big Bear Mtn. while everyone else was forced over to apply snow chains. HA! Subaru? No chains needed. Just drive. Whenever. Wherever.

The styling. The handling. The sure-footed AWD. The rubber trunk mat. The carte blanche travel ability. How cool the door looks opening when the windows are down (no window frame).

Bring back the bug-eyes and big fog lights! Oooh, and how 'bout in-dash espresso machine! Thanks.