Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

51,000 Miles and still smiling...
By Subaru Drew

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My biggest complaint about my 2 and a half year old WRX is that the front windows squeak when powering the windows down. It is annoying, but in two and a half years and 51,000 miles, that is my biggest complaint. I guess you could say that this car rocks! When I test drove this car I was replacing a '95 BMW 530i. That was a great car and its tread was tough to fill, especially with a car at a fraction of the cost. My expectations were not all that high, but my brother-in-law had just bought an WRX and convinced me to try it. That was all it took. This ride has grin factor! It does lack some refinements found in other cars, but it makes up for it in the drivers seat. Try it, you'll like it.

Go power and handling. The drivers seat is designed well and sitting in it makes it clear that this car is meant to drive. The other great thing is the AWD. This is a car that goes like a bat when other cars are waiting out the storm.

Options! Cold weather package. Sunroof.

Good Car
By Harry

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great little car , runs very strong, funto drive. On the downside, paint is thin, chips easily. Stock brakes and clutchare only fair. AWD good in northeast. Great for the money !

Performance , handling AWD

Thicker Paint

Superior Product
By vlord

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Through the years I've put more and more power on this drivetrain. Now at a "Stage 4" by TurboXS standards, I'm putting down 270+ HP at the wheels and the car is awesome. Running at 83,000 miles on the ORIGINAL clutch with no slipping. All I've had to do is routine maintenance at this little car keeps going. I don't think I could ever fathom getting rid of my Scooby as I see it as a to be historic classic. If you don't have one, look no further than the Subaru WRX. You will not be disappointed.

Monstrous power. Fantastic braking. Spot on comfort features. Good winter and offroad capability. Easy to maintain (except for those dang spark plugs).

Getting into gear was difficult after swapping gear oil to Mobil 1 synthetic. Adding an additive helped significantly.

Primo Sleeper
By DelmarRex

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 2-1/2 years, this car is still a blast to drive. Beats all other stock, street cars! I've been driving Subarus since 1980 for their 4/all wheel drive, reliability, good gas mileage, and all-around handling, and now I can have zip, too! I get 26 mpg highway and 20 to 21 mpg around town. Pretty good considering I drive the car hard. Keep the rpms above 3200 and nothing will catch you. No repairs, just normal maintenance. What a great car for relatively very little money.

Turbo, exterior curves and blue color.

Better stock tires and exterior paint.

Buy one!
By Jim K.

I bought this car new over 2 years ago,
for an OK price. So far I have had no
mechanical issues, no failures or
anything abnormal. The car is great.
It has some small quirks, at idle the
heater doesn't work really well, the
A/C compressor kicking in is a little
harsh in traffic. The clutch will
shudder when cold and most dealers will
fix this under warranty. Fuel economy
is less than stellar, there are some
rattles that can be fixed, the window
may squeak when rolling it down/up and
the floor mats refuse to stay in
place. The car is a blast to drive,
great in all weather conditions and (if
you can ignore the small problems) is
an excellent car for its

The power, the versatility (toss a roof rack on it and it'll haul a mattress/bikes, etc) and can fit a good bit in the trunk, the fun factor of driving it and the amount of features available for the price.

Higher line stereo (available subwoofer doesn't do anything), better (bigger) cup holders, better clips to hold the floor mats in place, fix the window squeak issue.