Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 308 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

A great car
By Wheeldog

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

As of this writing I have about 146000 miles on my WRX wagon. It has been a terrific car. It was at the time I bought it the best combination of performance, utility, and value, and it still holds up well. I would definitely buy this vehicle again.

Turbocharged 2.0, AW,D and handling dynamics, utility, rock-solid reliability, gauge package.

The bugeye front end is something only a parent could love, but I don't know that I like the newer styles that much better. Interior insulation from NVH could be better. Low-end torque is not great.

Safe. Utility. Bold. AWD. Reliable. Ubuy
By Blur125

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Subarus are awesome vehicles. And while this is the entry level vehicle, it's got the heart and soul of a Subaru! This has a rally inspired boxer 2.5l engine that gets 22-26 mpg (actual, depending on how nice you are to 'er). That's with AWD!! You can't beat having AWD if you like to shred mountains, ride trails, surf breaks, or relax while camping. While this particular model doesn't have a nice trim package nor nice interior, it has the basics you'd need while driving. And a manual is the way to go if you drive highway a lot. Wagons are a bonus for more storage space. I used it to travel back and forth between college with my entire room loaded in it. Nice fold down seats.

1) fun to drive. 2) power when needed. 3) great handling. 4) decent gas mileage. 5) low maintenance.

Bluetooth, MP3/aux, cloth interior, but seats hold you in your seat well!

Great car
By Travis

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First thing that I noticed when i bought my used WRX was how great of shape the interior was. It was not worn out at all, besides the drivers seat. Mileage does not seem to effect Subarus much. It runs perfect.

I don't really see many on the road, and when you do, they always wave. Fast and can take turns fast

A Lot Of Car For The Money!
By broman

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Recently purchased my WRX from a friend who owned it since 25K. Car now has 91K. Previous owner only did regular service with no other issues. This is the type of vehicle that you have to know what you are buying. It doesn't do anything spectacular but does do everything well. Power is adequate, interior is decent, looks are unique, MPG is good for a performance-based car, parts/service is reasonable, and resale is pretty good if you purchase used. I bought this car mainly for MPG as my other vehicle is an F150. And for $7000 I do not think I could get more car for the money. The car had already been upgraded to 17" wheels so it looks even better. Otherwise the car is completely stock.

AWD, shifter feels good, good MPG, looks different from all the other Accords, Camrys, Altimas, etc. that are everywhere, good trunk space, nice performance seats and steering wheel (is it really that hard for other companies to find a decent steering wheel?), reasonable power, excellent reliability

Better paint. If you are going to have cupholders make them better, less turbo lag, should come with more than 16" wheels, car is easily dented, shifting into first almost requires a complete stop which is bad in a turbo, fold-down rear seats, cars appears to sit too high, doors feel like tin.

Awesome Little Wagon
By BostonLegal

2002 Subaru Impreza TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car because I wanted AWD and a decent amount of carrying capacity while still being small enough to parallel park easily. The TS wagon fit the bill perfectly. As a CA native unaccustomed to the unique demands of winter driving in upstate NY, my Subaru has done a fantastic job of hugging the iciest roads. Curiously, my friends' SUVs often get irretrievably snowed into their parking spots, but my wagon can always get past the snowiest mounds. Reliability is excellent even on long roadtrips - I've driven her from NY to CA and back to MA. I have had no expenses beyond regular maintenance in my 7 years of ownership. After this car, I am absolutely sold on Subarus.

Fantastic handling - especially in adverse weather. Great carrying capacity and seat adjustability for maximum carrying space. Attractive exterior design and extremely stain-resistant upholstery.

Gas mileage is not wonderful (comes with the AWD though). Paint has begun chipping a bit after 7 years (5 in harsh northeast winters). Wish the hatchback opening was a little wider to allow larger objects.