Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 306 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Super vehicle
By Robin

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I love this little wagon. I bought it new and it has been so much fun to drive. I'm tall and it has a lot of headroom. It's fast and comfortable and a blast to drive. It's been extremely reliable until recently when at 92,000 miles I've had to replace the transmission and the air conditioner compressor. It has Recaro seats which are very comfortable and it has some engine adjustments by Cobb Tuning which drop the 0-60 time into the 4s. It will run with a Porsche at a third of the price. My son has a 2005 and he is 6'5" and he fits in it comfortably. I like my WRX much better than my wife's 2009 Lexus IS 350 which I have to fold myself up like a pretzel to get into.

Fast and roomy. Very reliable. Handles super. Excellent visibility.

It would be nice if it ran on regular gasoline.

Great till high mileage!
By climbrox

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car to drive. The 2.5L is just enough to make it peppy and fun. Good in most conditions, not great in any. Problems start at 140,000 and continue there on in. My advice would be to buy if mileage is low and get rid of if near 140,000.

Plenty of pep. Sporty. Fun to drive. Can hold quite a bit with the back seats folded down.

It's a little too low. The front bumper just pushes in the snow. It needs a bit more clearance.

Love the Subaru WRX
By Kyletran

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car few month ago with 89000 miles on it at the small dealer in Norco and drove it home with happiness. The car still run great and powerful that surprise me and i don't have any problem with it at all until now. I love Subaru and love how they build the car that can last forever.

AWD, turbocharge, OEM turbo boost,MOMO steering wheel, and everything alse..... :)

bigger turbo, better intercooler, better brake system

I will never buy another Subaru
By DeeDido

2002 Subaru Impreza TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

With 75,000 miles on it the head gasket had to be replaced. At 85,000 the power steering gear box. There is no trunk light. There is no lumbar support in the seats. My back is killing me. The visors did not have enough range to block the sun. It rattled constantly. The ride was extremely bumpy all the time. The engine noise was very loud. The stereo was terrible. Cruise control was not even an option. Stupid cup holder mounted on the dash board above the stereo.

The air conditioning.

Buy something else.

This car just doesn't quit
By Aspen White Bugeye

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my 2002 WRX from a college kid with 81k miles on it about 6 months ago. Car was quick, fun and clean as a whistle. I've seen these cars take more abuse than anything I would ever do to it and keep running. Put about a grand into the car and it out- performs its STI counterpart no problem. Keep up on regular checks and maintain your ride, can't beat the sound and feel of this car for ten grand. Get a quiet exhaust, up-pipe, downpipe and your mileage goes from 24-25 mpg to about 27.

Foot to the floor = all the power you need. Easy on the gas = 26-28 MPG.

The squeaky seatbelt was enough to get me to replace the seats entirely, and the cheap plastic brackets that hold the bumper on should be burned.