Used 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

WRX = high performance for cheap
By subafan

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my '02 WRX wagon exactly 2 years ago with 60,000 miles on it, just out of warranty. I now have 102,000 miles on it and have only replaced the brakes and done regular maintenance, mobile 1 synthetic only. While it may need more maintenance than I've given it, it still has given me no problems whatsoever. This car is super fast for a wagon. Nobody expects to see a subaru wagon to pull off the line as quick as the WRX wagon. I can get to 60mph, with a passenger, in 6 seconds which is impressive for a 2.0L 4cyl. Also, the AWD performs better in 6in or less snow than my Jeep Cherokee.

Transmission Problems
By bigsuda

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car about six months ago with 47k miles on it. Pretty low for an '02. I was having problems with getting it into first gear and reverse so I took it in to the local dealership. They told me that there was a problem (I expected it to be the clutch), and was told that there is a problem with the synchronizers in the transmission! Seems a little low mileage, well maybe a lot low, to be having problems with a transmission. I haven't added any aftermarket parts and take care of all my cars! Might be a lemon, but seems to be a ridiculous deal. $1500+ bill just to get started. Oh, and the warranty just expired 4 months ago due to an '01 delivery date. Wonderful!

Turbocharger, very economical vehicle, ability to handle any conditions including snow.

Door speakers are really shallow so upgrading is impossible. Make it reliable, nobody should have to deal with transmission problems under 50k miles.

Love it!
By Ion

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This has been my daily driver since new. I change the oil with Mobil 1 and the car behaves like new, even with 54,000 miles. I still have the same brakes and just changed the tires. I drive 55 miles/day and many of those miles are on twisty roads with tight corners (Sunset Blvd. in L.A.). The car corners and accelerates beautifully. I highly recommend it as an economical (average 25.5 mpg) fun car to drive.

Handling, acceleration.

I like the seats, but my wife thinks they're a bit too firm and uncomfortable for long rides.

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
By Peter Frohman

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Lots of fun, great handling, wonderful braking, plenty of power, wagon versatility, aggressive looks. A classic pocket rocket. Crummy gas mileage, premium gas, occasional turbo lag. Shift not as sweet as Honda/Acura, but AWD beats front-wheel drive every time. Great car for the price, but as soon as Honda makes something similar, I'm buying that.

Power, handling, brakes, looks.

Shifter could be sweeter.

What an Upgrade
By Les

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i just bought a used 2002 WRX wagon. WHAT A RIDE! got a sweet deal on it. At first I was considering the Mazda3 but I was big on performance. What an upgrade compared to my slow 1994 Honda accord. My commute is so much fun now! Driving in the rain is not a problem with the AWD...so far so good. Filling my tank up with premium gas will hit the wallet hard, but the good outweighs the bad.

227HP, AWD, smooth ride with GREAT handling (difference is noticeable compared to my old Honda), Subaru extended warranty.

Cup holder in center of console (fixed in 2005 model). Buttons on the steering wheel would be hot (like on the Mazda3), hybrid WRX in the future?