Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 306 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great to drive, awful to repair
By Nick

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well, I was very excited to buy this car a little over a year ago.The brakes went quickly, the paint chips way too easily. And it is VERY LOUD with the windows down, and if you smoke cigarettes in the car the ash comes back in and blows everywhere. But it's very fast and handles excellent, and it is amazingly predictable in the snow. The boxer motor is brilliant and the throttle response is unbelievable.Truly one of the fastest vehicles in that price range. But I will never buy another Subaru because of their transmissions. I've had to rebuild my transmission twice this MONTH ALONE! The input shaft (R,1st and 2nd) is cheaply made and I have pics of the gear completely munched under normal driving.

So fast, and the hood scoop is mean.The fog lights are an awesome feature, it lights up the road wonderfully, and the AWD system makes driving in any kind of poor weather not only safe, but fun! And it's so fast.

Subaru needs to work on the aerodynamics of the car, and the car is kinda ugly looking. Biggest problem, TRANSMISSIONS ARE WEAK, all the power goes directly to the tranny.

I love this car
By nmp

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I’ve had my Suby for nearly three years now, and I love it more and more all the time. It’s been awesome for me -- a small, sporty woman. It’s a perfect size -- not too big, but large enough to handle multiple pairs of skis, snowboards, mountain bikes, and friends. I’ve had a couple problems -- front brakes had issues after 18k, but the dealership replaced the rotors under warranty free of charge. Clock also quit -- also replaced under warranty.

Handling. Super fun to drive, decent gas mileage for an AWD, size, convenience. I’m proud to be a Subaru owner.

The car needs a larger first gear...and better speakers. Otherwise, I just love it!

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
By Peter Frohman

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Lots of fun, great handling, wonderful braking, plenty of power, wagon versatility, aggressive looks. A classic pocket rocket. Crummy gas mileage, premium gas, occasional turbo lag. Shift not as sweet as Honda/Acura, but AWD beats front-wheel drive every time. Great car for the price, but as soon as Honda makes something similar, I'm buying that.

Power, handling, brakes, looks.

Shifter could be sweeter.

A blast to drive!
By emonkeyman

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned my '02 WRX for a little over a year now and it is still a blast to drive. It is my daily driver and is comfortable enough to fit the bill. The car never lets me down. If I need to merge, it merges, if I need to stop, it stops, if I need to blaze a dirt road at 60mph, well guess what, It does! I don't foresee parting with this vehicle, even when she turns 100k. I haven't noticed any loss in quality or driveability of my car at all. Well, things can't be all good, my only complaint is the gas mileage. I average about 18mpg, and having to use premium fuel 93 octane at $2.70 per gallon; it usually runs me about $40 to fill her up. But then again I didn't buy it for the fuel economy.

My favorite feature of my car is the handling by far. This car will allow you to take corners at speeds that intimidate cars with 150 more horsepower. If you want one of the best handling cars on the road, go get one!

Again, the only complaint I have is the fuel economy. At 18mpg, she's a gasaholic! But again I must restate that you don't buy this car for that reason, you buy it because it's a blast to drive no matter where you are or where your going!

51,000 Miles and still smiling...
By Subaru Drew

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My biggest complaint about my 2 and a half year old WRX is that the front windows squeak when powering the windows down. It is annoying, but in two and a half years and 51,000 miles, that is my biggest complaint. I guess you could say that this car rocks! When I test drove this car I was replacing a '95 BMW 530i. That was a great car and its tread was tough to fill, especially with a car at a fraction of the cost. My expectations were not all that high, but my brother-in-law had just bought an WRX and convinced me to try it. That was all it took. This ride has grin factor! It does lack some refinements found in other cars, but it makes up for it in the drivers seat. Try it, you'll like it.

Go power and handling. The drivers seat is designed well and sitting in it makes it clear that this car is meant to drive. The other great thing is the AWD. This is a car that goes like a bat when other cars are waiting out the storm.

Options! Cold weather package. Sunroof.