Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 308 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Bugeye still going strong after 16 years
By Scott

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my WRX in Oct. 2001. Still going strong with the original clutch and engine. Just took it in for a servicing and compression was 150 across the board. A year ago upgraded to a VF 48 turbo, blue injectors and a bigger fuel pump. Wow! The car is a rocket and merging on the highway is a blast. That truck in the right lane who thinks he'll cut me off is in for a surprise. With an Accessport the sky is really the limit with this gorgeous car. Next step may be doing a flex fuel setup with even bigger injectors/fuel pump. The thing you need to remember with this car is that the stock tune is garbage and often leads to check engine lights. Get an aftermarket tune from a good tuner and you can eliminate these bugs and increase your enjoyment of the car exponentially. A GOOD air/oil separator is also advisable to keep oil out of the intake. I also replaced the stock stereo with a 7 inch flat screen headunit and with Android Auto I have full navigation and bluetooth. Installation was so easy even someone like me could do it. Only knocks on the car: the trunk leaks annoyingly and I can't seem to figure out why. Also Subaru paint is poor but you knew that. All in all it's been a pleasure to drive, I've had this car for 1/3 of my life and I really see no reason to dump it.

drive fast!!!!!!!!!!!
By robert isham

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

all around a great car...will get me into or out of any type of situation. i like to have fun getting to whatever destination i am going to...

Not happy with Subarus
By D

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had never owned a Subaru before, and found that all repairs are at least twice what they were in my previous Toyotas and Mazda. I am on a tight budget, and so could not afford some repairs when needed, which left me without a vehicle with 3 children to transport. I ended up taking the bus many times due to the poor condition of this vehicle and the skyrocketing cost of repairs.

This car just saved my sons life and his 3 friends
By Hope Haas

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I am writing this while sitting in York hospital as my son sits in the ICU. He was a backseat passenger. They are all teenagers and took his friends car , the Subaru, because it handles best and is the most fun....i fact I have learned to be very very grateful for!. Ad teens, rain and a sharp turn , his friend made the mistake of hitting his breaks going into the turn, causing hydroplaning. A suv was coming around the turn , they hit head on/drivers side. All kids had seat belts on. I was called to the scene thinking my son was dead. I got there to see this car crumpled up.but at the inside the car looked fine. The driver came out with only scratches , the passenger, not even a scratch. My son who caught the force of the seatbelt from the high impact, came out with a torn spleen, broken ribs all from the seatbelt. I can explain how bad this wreck was. No one can believe everyone got out and had not even busted faces from airbags..now they all had seatbelt bruising but as a mom. I am so very very very greatful for this car because it saved not only my sons life but all the other kids. Even the surgeon couldn't believe how everyone was unharmed. So yes we spoke of this car over and over at the er, trama and ICU. Thank you for making a car strong enough to hold up to an straight on collision and also keeping them safe inside. Hope Haas

Rally Sport Special
By Michael Wenzel

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was always fun to drive. Handles like a race car very quick and zippy. It's been problem free even after 14 years it's still very reliable. It's 4WD is great in snow and mud.