Used 2001 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

2.5 RS
By Amy

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car since the fall of 2000. I preferred the "Old School" style and wasn't really interested in waiting for the new WRX to come out. I was a previous owner of an Outback Sport (98) and loved that. The RS with the leather interior that I upgraded to made me love the Impreza even more. I use it as my daily driver, drop my toddler off to preschool (the 4 doors are a bonus for this over the coupe). The trunk is large enough to fit a full size hockey bag-but one drawback of the 01 is that the seats don't fold down. Never had an issue with anything mechanical. Now with 97,-000 miles on it, it's still going strong. Excellent in the snow. I would highly recommend this car.

Rally styling and handling. The RS has the ABS brakes, CD player, moon roof, standard.

The extra horsepower is nice, but I wish it got just a bit better gas mileage. I average in the mid 20's, but with gas 3 dollars a gallon it takes $42 to fill it up. Fold down seats (which they do on anything newer than 2001) would have been nice.

Sporty Compact Enthusiast Sedan
By 2.5RS

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because Ii wanted a compact sedan that would be reliable but also fun to drive. The 2.5RS has exceeded in both categories. There is road noise to contend with at higher speeds, but not much more than any other similarly priced compact car. There is an extensive aftermarket community for modifications. The car had a somewhat limited production making them a bit of an enthusiast's entry level tuner as an alternative to Honda. If you do find one of these cars, be warned that *everyone* will ask if it is a WRX or an STI.

All wheel drive. Moonroof. Leather option. Easy access to oil drain and filter. Frameless windows. My friend's fingers got slammed between the window and the B pillar as the door closed and he was fine, just a little sore.

The rear seat is a bit cramped with front passengers over 6 feet tall and the rear seats are bolted in so you need a rack for ski/bike trips. Center armrest extension and top storage compartment are less solid than the rest of the car. Road noise is also a problem at speeds over 50mph.

Amazing handling
By Dennis

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car and built like a tank. Very reliable and much better than its competition. I have owned it over 4 years and it still amazes me. Love the design and wish Subaru would bring back the 2 door in the current Impreza. Would purchase another Subaru in a minute.

Exterior styling. Easy to work on and modify. I have lowered the suspension, upgraded the intake and exhaust, and brake rotors. Very reliable and the All Wheel Drive is the best part in any weather condition.

Better paint and better interior materials.

The best looking Subaru yet!
By BlvdKing

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have really enjoyed this car so far. It doesn't have the performance it should possess by the look of the car. I have the leather seating and love the comfort and material quality. It handles amazing and drives almost as nice in snow and ice. Subaru makes a true "all season" car. I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for a fun to drive, fairly economical, great looking, and quality built car. The only thing it is lacking is the turbo performance other newer subaru's have like the WRX and WRX Sti.

aggressive styling, one of the best handling cars in its class, quality fit and finish, and the best AWD system on the planet it is always there when you need it.

I always wish it had a turbo from the factory. This car would have been amazing with the torque of the 2.5L and the power of a turbo there wouldn't be many cars that could compete if this car was set up properly.

Slightly quirky, but a blast to drive
By Brian

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with this car at all. The clutch can be a little quirky, especially when it's cold. Once you get the hang of it it's alright. Frameless side windows rattle when you close the door with them partway down. It's stubborn sometimes about going into first gear. Although it understeers a bit, once you figure out how the car likes to be driven, it is very rewarding. I get compliments on the look of the car. Build quality is very good (no annoying squeaks or rattles). I love the sounds the engine makes. The engine loves to be driven hard, but is quite tractable in town. Fun to drive no matter the weather (AWD advantage). My next car will be a Subaru.

AWD - Fun can be had no matter the weather. Great reliability. Good quality build.

Improve interior materials. Update transmission. Could go for a little better fuel economy, but isn't too bad for a car with AWD. I would suggest more power, but that has been addressed by later models.