Used 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great Car
By Soriano

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this New in 97'. Since then this car has been great for us. The only thing that ever broke was the water pump and the dealership replaced it since it was their fault and still under warranty. I just changed the clutch and the car will definitely go another 100,000. If you drive and accelerate slowly I've been getting upwards of 27 MPG. Not bad for an AWD car with a lot of weight added to it because of the rear drive axle. Its a zippy little car and I love driving it. Subaru's are great. This one is awesome in the snow. I would rather drive this than my wifes Honda CR-V. I change the oil every 5000 and use high life oil since the car is getting up in miles. Great Car.

Bummed!
By Courtney

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Having read all of these reviews, I'd have to say that the car isn't being represented in full. For all the prospective buyers, keep in mind that this car requires A LOT of money, regularly. I bought this car a year ago with only 60,000 miles on it. I thought it was a blessing. About 6,000 miles into it, I began to smell burning oil. I brought it into the mechanic and it had some severe oil leaking and axle problems. Apparently oil leaks are only too common among Subarus and this was a major disappointment. I was surely not planning on spending $1000 every six months or so. My mechanic said that hopefully it will go another 12 months before another oil leak happens. Think about it. GOOD LUCK.

The hatchback, and size of the car.

More power, BETTER GAS MILEAGE! It's horrible on mpg. Better overall mechanical reliability. Make them like they used to!

Great ride!
By geebee

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used and added 60,000km in 16 months. Now have 228,000km (Aug '06) and still get GREAT fuel economy - 7.5l/100km on the highway. Really enjoy the road holding and performance. The engine can feel underpowered, but using the 5-speed well will get you around the twists pretty quickly. Very stable at highway speeds. Great commuter car.

Road holding and fuel economy.

Rear leg room.

Best car for me
By Hunter

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car to replace a 4WD and a very fuel economic Japanese car. It does both well, but obviously compromises come from both. Good fuel economy in the Impreza, but the AWD and 2.2 hinder it a bit. I'd rather have AWD and extra power than 2 extra miles per gallon. I average 24-28 or so. On regular gas, the 28 was highway miles at about 75mph avg and the tires aired up to about 34psi (fully loaded with gear mind you). The 24-26 mpg is combined city/highway driving with the tires at a bit more "cushy" 30psi. I've owned this car for 12,000 miles and have had it 8 months. The first week I did a 2500 mile road trip, the car was a blessing.

I'm too tall to sleep in the back with the seats down so this car, like my last (1991 Sentra), is very sleepable with the passenger seat laid all the way back. I also like the auto headlights that turn off when the ignition is turned off. Finally I love the ease of working under the hood (tons of room!).

I wish the back seats folded flat; that the car was available with a sunroof, and the factory roof rack didn't seem like an afterthought. The factory racks on Legacy Outbacks are much easier to add aftermarket components to. Standard limited slip differentials would be nice, as would a full size spare tire.

115,000
By Tjack

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Had very good luck with my Outback Sport purchased new. Had to replace the rack and pinion and other minor repairs. Suggestion -- do not let anyone but dealer replace timing chain. Having trouble with vibration at idle last 10K that I don't like. Do not like the antilock brakes, they come on if braking and I go over a bump in the road, also come on at low speed hard braking where locking brakes would work better. Other than that, very reliable, fun to drive.

Handling, cargo.

Antilock brakes should be speed sensitive.