Used 2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Great in the ice and snow
By Yankovich

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This is my second Subaru Forester (my 2013 forester with 24k miles got totaled after someone ran into the back of me). I noticed the oil consumption issue on my 2013 forester, it would go thru a quart of oil every 5,000 miles. I switched to 5W20 and it solved the problem (still a pain). My 2014 does not burn any oil at all and I use the recommended 0W20 full synthetic. The big selling point for me on these cars is how well they drive in the mountains on snow and ice. I don't have a scientific way to validate my observation but I drive a lot in the mountains and I can tell you that compared to my 4WD Honda Element (which I love), the Forester is head and shoulders better when the road conditions deteriorate.

Do not buy this vehicle
By michael leclerc

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a 2014 Forester in the end May of 2015 (19,000 miles). After driving for about 1200 miles the low oil light came on. The dealership topped of the oil 4 times before they would do the oil consumption test. After the test they replaced my engine(so they say). After driving the new engine for a week, the low oil light came on. Topped off oil again. Consumption test again tomorrow. 7 months of owning this vehicle and over 20 hours of waiting in the waiting room. I want my 2006 Nissan back!

Wife's ride
By George Reich

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Good car value wise with all wheel drive and safty record - would prefer greater mileage considering 4 cyl manual trans

Oil sucker
By Tom

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the forester in Jan 15 it had 23,000 miles on it. I drive 104 miles round trip to work each day. I have 47,000 on the suv now and just lately I have noticed it is drinking oil. After a fresh oil change I find that the oil light comes on after about 2,000 miles and I have to add a quart. I put the recommend synthetic oil in about every 6-8,000 miles. I have been in the car business for 40+ years and have always driven newer cars I have never had to add any oil. This is definitely a problem. I bought the Subaru because I thought it would be a reliable car,but now I,m not so sure. I'm going to contact the dealer and see what they do. Stay tuned.

Great car but a real rattle trap!!
By james pavoldi

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

If you are sensitive to rattles coming from the dash...do not buy because the rattle will drive you nuts!

If you love to hear annoying rattles coming from the display council...you will love this car. I prefer peace and quiet in my cars. It's too bad, I really like the car , but until they can make one that does not have rattles...I'm not interested in buying another one.