Used 2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Love my Forrester
By Kari Sellars

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I love this Forrester, but the family is growing and it doesn't work for us anymore. Great ride, safe, secure in bad weather. Totally wonderful car. Excellent gas mileage.

Oil Issues and Beyond
By Maxwell H

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have a 2014 Subaru Forester and love it! But, I can echo some of the oil issues. But mine have been minor comparatively. A few times in the last three years the low oil light has come on just before I was about to take it in for routine maintenance anyway. I keep a qt in the back and have topped it off apx 3 times since I bought it. When I learned about the class action lawsuit against Subaru I was quite upset and wrote my car off. I took it to the dealership and they gave me a pamphlet about oil consumption that was kind of pathetic. I know how to check the oil in any car and I expect that any modern car doesn't need that type of attention. I also expect that Subaru (to which I have friends and family that have had several different models that lasted for way over 200k miles) won't ever have a silly issue like this. However, that was 2 years ago and at almost 45k my Forester has been a champ. I also got an extended powertrain warranty from Subaru on my Forester for 8 years /100,000 miles as a result of the lawsuit. So if you buy this car used that should transfer from what I am to understand. This also gave me some much needed confidence back in the model and the brand. All this aside, the MPG are amazing for an AWD car, the interior is roomy and well appointed, it has great acceleration and it has gotten us through some tough snow and adverse weather situations safe and sound. Overall I am quite happy with my Forester and plan to keep it for a very long time. Now that the oil issue is out in the open and many cars have been updated I would highly recommend the Forester. Because without this one issue (albeit, a bad one for a few owners) this is one amazing car.

Thirsty for oil 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited
By Jessy M.

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited in October of 2013. I'll start with the positives: I'm very impressed with the style (used to look dumpy prior model years), the reasonable gas mileage, the room, the fact that I can easily get in/out of the SUV (I'm short), the leather seating (I have chronic back pain so it helps), the huge moon roof, the lift gate, the safety, AWD handling, the brakes are nice (not super touchy and doesn't pull you forward). The cons so far: the options if it's not standard can be pretty pricey, what comes standard is not always the greatest (Acura per example, would beat out Subaru in that department, specifically the technology dept.), the heat takes awhile to get warm, a lot of trouble starting the car if it's colder than usual (-0), heated seats do not stay heated, sometimes I hear road noise even though windows are all up, not all doors have a light so if you're sitting in the back, it's hard to see where the window button is if you want to roll down the window when it's dark, the driver visor mirror does not have a light (pretty cheap if you ask me!), and most importantly, my car is one of the year/VIN/models affected by oil consumption issues. Recently, my oil light went on, on my way to work. I brought it to the dealership that day since it's under the power train warranty and there is an active lawsuit against Subaru that I was notified about. I was told that my car (2K more miles to the next oil change) lost 1 1/2 quarts of oil (not sure where it went b/c it didn't leak from what I could tell). They changed the oil and replaced a gasket (pretty bad that needed replacement but thankful it was under warranty), and I was told to bring the car back 1200 miles later for another oil consumption test (coming up), do not add oil if the oil light comes up and they will replace the engine if it goes while under the warranty. I haven't had to pay anything out of my own pocket for that yet, knock on wood, but this shouldn't happen to a car that doesn't even have 40K miles on it yet and is Japanese engineered! Subaru really needs to fix this problem! Enough people are affected that they should notice and be proactive!! I'm very disappointed and I don't know if I'll ever get another Subaru! So far, I seem to have better luck with Honda's....

Oil Consumption Issues
By Bryan

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Our Subaru Forester is having reoccurring oil consumption issues – the oil light comes on well before the manufacture recommended oil change interval. We started our first oil consumption test this past spring, coming into our dealership every 1500 miles for a total of 5 times. The test resulted in limited work on our vehicle. Once the final test came and went we were told there was nothing the dealership could do and we were sent on our way.
It’s been a few months and about 3,500 miles since the dealership sent us on our way and the oil light has come on again. So we’ve brought the Forester back to the dealership who is recommending that we start the oil consumption tests over. This is our first Subaru purchase and it’s starting to look like our last because of the amazing inconvenience to my family. It’s difficult for my family to travel to a dealership every 1500 miles to have the oil topped off, and if the dealership/Subaru won’t take steps to fix the root cause we’ll be selling our Forester and moving on to a new brand.

2014 Subaru Forester using oil
By Laura

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Well, thinking about trading my 2014 Forester in for something else...undecided. At 40,000 miles, I am now up to using a quart of oil in about 3000 miles. I've been having some usage, about a 1/2 quart prior, but now up to the quart stage. Terrible! So very disappointing! I had heard such great reviews on this vehicle, and now I have to pay attention to the sound. I can tell when it starts to get low, and stop and get a quart. Keeping a quart with me at all times. I have my class action suit papers here on my desk. I shouldn't even have to read all these sheets of paper, as I paid good money, and still paying! I will fill them out!!!! Now what do I buy in it's place. I did so much research to come to the Subaru conclusion, now I have to start all over!