Used 2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

So. Much. Oil.
By Jane

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I knew I was in trouble when, 6 weeks after purchasing this car, the low oil indicator came on. I've had to throw a quart in every 6 weeks or so ever since ... until 2 months ago when it dropped to every 4 weeks. I'm now done. There is no reason I should have to continue throwing oil into a car like this. I've Googled, I see that people are given the run around, I see I can haul myself to the dealer over and over for consumption tests (no thanks), and I know there was a class action lawsuit about it that they lost. I just want this car out of my life (I'm going tomorrow to get something else). In addition to the oil issue, the seats aren't comfortable at all. The seat itself is too short for my legs (I'm 5'8"). Yes, I did test drive it, but it was fine for that 10 minutes. I only noticed it after spending more time in it. The armrest is too short. The controls make NO sense. I can't hook up an iPod without being forced to control it through the car's controls, which is an exercise in futility. If you have a rear-facing car seat, the person sitting in front of it is jammed into the dash (my husband rides in back with our son more often than not because it's more comfortable). And, finally, the ride itself is rough. The car is at a low price point, and it never lets you forget why. Are there any plusses? Yes. Aesthetically, I like how it looks. The cargo area is roomy. It comes in manual transmission, which is a dying breed. Gas mileage is good. But overall, I hate this car with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns.

Roomy and Reliable But Not. Great Ride
By Mark

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Little things, no auto locking doors, have to hold door when getting out it it will swing all the way out to bang the car next to you, poor seat adjustment options, and not a terribly smooth ride. Stereo sub par. Otherwise has good acceleration, handles well, great fuel efficiency, reliable and roomy.

2014 Subaru
By Toni Kerrigan

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my 2nd one,and I got best (poster child)I have all the bells and whistles on my SUV and I just recently found out that they stopped putting navigation in the Subaru so I'm holding on to mine. It turns on a dime,it has the speed it's great on gas.Went to trade off for 2016 till I found out that I could get a 2017 but no navigation,inside knobs are cheaper looking and you pay a whole lot more for nothing.The 2014 are the best!

Great vehicle
By TL

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Worth the purchase. Performance solid, family outgrew the car is why we are changing to a different car. Loved this vehicle and value to experience was very high.

An easy love affair.
By Leonard Wofse

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This gets the best reviews. As my Forester is only two weeks old it is hard to rate the snow and rain traction in a dry summer for obvious reasons. And I'm not familiar with all the bells and whistles yet... It feels like a luxury jeep to me. One concern is going up steep hills. Only one time have I had a chance to test this grade up, but it was not as perky as in driving on level ground. But in all fairness I did not put it in a low gear test. So far the title remains true!

Update, a few weeks later; No problem climbing hills in drive. The four stars for Interior; very nice dash but wish they used less hard plastic and metals. Although 2014 is an improvement on a more soft interior, Subaru needs to move more in a soft feel interior. I give it a thanks for trying; and it is not bad by any sense of the imagination.