Used 2013 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Oil Burner Fixed by Subaru
By B. Addison

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2013 Forester new for my daughter. It consumed oil right from the start. Presently has 55,000 miles and uses one quart every 1300 miles.
Will be taking it to dealer for their assessment. Assuming they give me a runaround, will probably trade it in. Wonder how many other Subarus out there
have a similar problem. So watch out . Will update this if they make it right.

Update: 5/4/2016 Dealer did not give me a runaround. Dealer suggested a 1200 mile oil consumption test. They measured 1.5 quarts used in 1200 miles. This qualified for new short-block which the dealer installed. No cost to me. Currently we are doing our own mileage test to see if the new short-block made any difference. She now has about 600 miles on the new block and I will update this post when we get more miles. The dealership in this case has been extremely helpful and I give Subaru credit for standing behind this problem. Hopefully the short-block solves the problem.

Update: 5/5/2016 Good news. I got a chance to check the oil level on my daughter's car. Since the new short block was installed she has driven 1800 miles. The oil level on the dipstick has gone down 1/4 of an inch from where I first measured it. If this rate of consumption holds, I will consider that the problem has been solved. At this rate she should not have to add oil between oil changes at 4000 miles. And if this rate of consumption holds, my faith in Subaru will have been restored and I would consider buying another one.

Short people need NOT beware..
By C

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm 4 ft 9" , yes you read that right lol. This car is awesome for someone who loves the great outdoors and also need an everyday car. The seats lift up manually on the passenger and drivers seats. The steering wheel is very nice, seats are very comfortable. The inside is spacious, and the auto headlights are very handy. My only regret is how much the dog hair shows on my black seats! Brakes work fantastic, the value is really good. The stereo is basic but still nice. The ride is decently smooth, and the interior noise could also be better, but again overall this car is awesome. I got the 2013 once my 99' forester died and I would absolutely purchase it again!

short people beware
By robinoherin

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2013 forester with about 13,000 miles on it. The car is really spacious, pretty good on gas (average 24.6 mpg, although I can get up to 30 mpg on the highway) and looks beautiful.
I am about 5' tall. But, I can't reach the brake pedal, (it is too high up and I have put two pillows under the floor mat), the seat doesn't go high enough and I need two pillows for that also, the steering wheel is to wide and my hands are cramping up from holding it, I have severe lower back pain, (am now trying an attached back support for the seat), sciatica pain, and cramps and soreness in my feet (from stretching to reach the pedals). In addition, there is no shade darkening on the top of the front windshield, my legs burn up.
So I am updating this a year later. I still have back pain, leg cramps and foot pain and need pillows on the floor and on the seat. I got a special car lumbar support thing and that helps a little. I would never buy another subaru. It doesn't handle well (although snow tires made a big difference), and I am unimpressed with all-wheel drive. I still miss my jeep. I went to trade it in, and was told it is only worth $12,000 now. I tried to return it to Gengras, the dealer in CT I bought it , week after I bought it, and they refused, even though they advertise that they will take back a used car if you aren't happy.
So there are things I like about it, but as soon as I can afford it, I'll get something else...

Pay MORE
By leebo4

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Do yourself a favor by opting for a higher trim...if you have a BACK problem.
I purchse 2013 base model just because of the color. It is brown/burgundy (new for 2013) and either wait 8 weeks or take the base model.
After 13,000 miles later, I regret my purchase only because of the lacking(or Non) lumbar support and a thigh support.
I have a back issue since purchasing this CUV. Of course, if you are moderate sized person, this would not be an issue. Otherwise, it is a very solid vehicle.
This is my 4th Subi and would not be the last.

Ride comfort, good visibilty, and not attractive enough for the thieves.

Better SEATS, more latteral support and longer bottom cushion.

2013 Forester - Practical and Reliable....
By sus77

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2013 Subaru Forester since February 2013 after my 1999 Subaru Legacy quit running.
I use non ethanol gasoline and I'm averaging between 27-29.2 MPG since I purchased the car.
It has plenty of room and enough acceleration for normal & daily driving.
I am still disappointed Subaru does not offer a limited / leather model with a 5 speed transmission.
I decided to buy a 2013 over a 2014 because I do not trust the long term drive ability of the new CVT transmission yet!

All Wheel Drive, Sunroof, Tight cornering feel, Comfortable seats, Radio / CD display, good MPG with non ethanol gas.

I HATE the cheap door trim around the drivers / passengers elbow. I am not impressed with the Backseat recline function either. It rattles like crazy.