Used 2012 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Starting Issues
By raf1801

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Random starting issues at 5000 miles. Dealership can't duplicate the problem so the issue remains unsolved. Am afraid to drive this vehicle very far anymore.Am afraid of being stranded . Vehicle is also reluctant to start when the temps get below freezing. The owners manual gives instructions how to try to start the vehicle if these random starting issues occur. I wonder sometimes if they knew in advance these problems might occur with this type of vehicle. Therefore
the need to put these instructions in the manual.If had known in advance about these problems I never would of bought this car. I'm stuck for now with a car I hate and am afraid to drive very far if it even starts. Buyer beware

Do not buy this car
By starfool

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2012 Forester about a year and a half ago. It started to have starting issues about 3 months ago. It won't start right away, sometimes it takes a few tries holding the key for about 10 seconds. I took it to North End Subaru and they tried a few things that didn’t work, and then told me it is normal. I then took it to Prime Subaru. They couldn't find anything wrong but gave me a few tips to try. They didn't work, I called back, they also told me that the problem is normal. It does always start eventually, but it just doesn’t seem normal to me. I have read reviews of people who have had similar problems for both the 2012 & 2013 models.

large moon roof

have it start sooner than 10 seconds.

Intrusive Seat belt chime
By moi12

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my partner's car and they are enjoying it VERY much.

However, I'm glad I'm not the one driving it, because of the stupid seat belt chime - see below.....

a well-made car - we've always, overall, had good experiences in our Subaru's

I have driven many different cars over the last few years - personal cars, rent cars, etc - but the Forester is the ONLY one that tries to FORCE me to put on my seat belt. It NEVER stops chiming.... I wear my selt belt because I want to & know it's important, not because some machine or company is trying to FORCE me to wear it. I am responsible for my life & limb..... I end up wearing my seat belt the LEAST in our Forester... I like Subaru's overall, but the ATTITUDE behind this seat belt chime thing is offensive..... Oh - I know - it's because they love me.... but love also very much involves RESPECT.

It's OK
By mgoblue2012

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I really want to love my Forester. Everyone said that I would. Maybe my expectations were too high. I will note that I am not someone who needs all the bells and whistles, nor wants them. So I figured a Subaru would be great. I will probably not be keeping it when my lease is up.

There are good, bad, and a bunch of little annoyances that definitely add up.

The Good: First off, I LOVE the visibility in the Forester. Good ride height. I also really appreciate the handling. The size is perfect. With the seats down, there is plenty of room. It's the perfect size for my Siberian Husky, he loves it. Yet, it is still a small enough car to park and maneuver in tight spaces. MPG isn't bad for AWD, but I'm not getting anywhere near estimated. Just got back from driving it from Michigan to Colorado and back again and averaged 24mpg. It held up well, though it was struggling on the mountain roads.

Bad:There isn't a lot that's unforgivable about the car, but it's not great. The 4 cyl isn't bad, but paired with the 4 speed transmission, it can struggle. I am bewildered that Subaru is still using a 4 speed, especially when more gears would improve MPG. The seats are god awful for any longer drive, I was more comfortable in my 2000 Mustang. Annoying: First, a lot of the controls can be counter intuitive. Second, most cars when you lock the doors, you can still open the front doors and they will unlock. This doesn't. Also, almost immediately after getting this car brand new, things were rattling, especially the interior roof panel. There's more, but I can't place them right now.

Dont carry your family in this SUV
By rpanek

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Very unstable SUV when you carry more than two people including yourself.
Sways on every turn with speed over 50mph like is ready to overturn.
Looks like Corporate Subaru of America don't care about safety of car owners and passengers by dismissing open cases about car safety and works with World Government and Banks on decreasing population.
Downshift on sudden acceleration (when you try to pass other car on the freeway) goes a way to low making engine reaching 5K rpm.
Has very low quality sound system.
Interior finishing quality - less than any other car or SUV, need a lot of improvements.

4 wheel drive and oil filter on the top of the engine.

Replace rear sway bar to at least 22 millimeters. Adjust downshift on sudden acceleration. Provide better interior finishing materials.