Used 2009 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

my third subaru
By steve

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I now have approx 35k miles in15 months. Decent average mpg, approx 25.5 overall. Too many rattles, particularly around moon roof sliding lid. Tires holding up real well so far. Radio "so so"

large moonroof, great in snow

head system throws out a lot of heat, but very difficult to control if you want just a little. Too much or not enough. Same problem I had in 05 Outback. Should be dual zone one side passenger other side driver.

Ok but won't buy another Subaru
By kewe

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car a year ago b/c always wanted a Forester. I like the past models better. I usually get Honda or Toyota. Overall car is dependable, will try to drive until over 150k but will never get another one again. Gives decent gas mileage 25 avg for mainly city driving. Car has little power for accelerating on highway, which feels unsafe. Interior looks cheap, fabric on doors is a no no (who thought of that?). The power button on driver side for seat adjustment is too clunky and any slight touch moves the seat. Very annoying. Front passenger seat is too low. Good aspects is that it does well in the snow, great for hauling large items when seats are folded down.

Cargo space, gas mileage, dependability

Change the power button on driver seat, make more ding resistance, more power for accelerating, adjust passenger seat height to match driver seat. No fabric on doors.

My chevy is more dependable
By onedisappointment

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was sold the safety, resale value, and dependability. Well, within two month of purchase I had a cracked windshield, warranty did not cover the crack and it cost me $370 to replace. and now the car has a leak in the evaporator core and it costing me about $1000 to fix. This car barely 2 years old. My Chevy has 276k miles and still runs with original A/C. Never again will by a Subaru again!

All I expected
By mktdkt

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the car 14 months and 45,000 miles ago for several basic reasons. Price, AWD, interior Space and you won't see another one on every corner. I have been more than satisfied. The AWD is second to none, we have snow 6 months a year. Yes, the interior could be upgraded but considering the price I feel I received a deal. Mileage is never below 25 and never above 29. I drive 80% hwy. Performance is so-so but but more than enough for the driving I do. I highly recommend Subaru and will buy another.

AWD, ground clearance, interior space, utility

Higher quality interior parts

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By Car Professor

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I've ever owned. In less than 3500 miles, it's been in for service on five separate occasions. I’m not sure whether Subaru needs to redesign this vehicle, improve assembly procedures/training, or conduct more thorough testing, but I do know that somewhere along the way, Subaru lost sight of its commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. I will never purchase another Subaru and would never recommend one, as I feel that I simply can’t rely on this vehicle. Where’s the ‘love’, Subaru? P.S. - Subaru Customer Service more hindrance than help. They simply don't care.

Factory installed rattles and vibrations prevent driver from falling asleep behind the wheel.

Ask customers to grow a third arm so they can dampen the various interior noises while continuing to steer and shift in a safe manner.