Used 2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 230 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Little dissapointed
By JLouie

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2009 Subaru based on safety rating and new design. I'm mostly happy with my purchase but several small improvements are needed: Three separate windshield cracks within the first six months! Most of my driving is done on I5 Hwy. I owned a Jeep for 10 yrs, and Jeep windshield are even more upright than the Subaru and you do get plenty of dings, but it didn't crack instantly. The paint is too thin as small rocks from the road takes chunks of paint off and I now have several rust spots on the front grill/hood area. Interior silver coat on the plastic interior door handle,etc. are easily scratched and same with exterior paint. Stereo and AC is weak.

I love the roomy interior design and comfort. It's fun to drive with very little blind spots due to window design. I love the extra big sunroof. All wheel drive is great in the snow the few times I've had to drive in the snow.

Use better quality windshield that can better withstand small rocks. Offer aftermarket windshield sooner so we don't have to pay OEM prices! Add another finishing coat to protect the exterior paint. Interior silver coat looks good but get rid of it since it shows every little scratch!

Good basic utility SUV under $20000
By Excellent Vehicle

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this after test driving CR-V and RAV4. Did not want to pay more than $20,000 for a new car and needed an SUV. New 2009 style was ok and 4wd system is very good. Mileage is as good if the mechanics tune it right. After 1st service mileage got better; after 2nd it went down and 3rd now has gotten better again. Got 30 mpg to Chicago and again to Cincinnati recently from Rochester, NY. Gets about 22 around town and overall around 25 mpg. have had no rattles or mechanical problems. Quality is excellent; have had Toyota mostly until now. Only thing I don't like is that it seems a bit sensitive to high/cross winds; could be the tires though.

None really, everything is ok as it should be.

Needs re-gearing for better pickup and go for me personally but is ok for most people. Not sure I like the cruise control on the column; still like the stick used in Toyota.

my third subaru
By steve

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I now have approx 35k miles in15 months. Decent average mpg, approx 25.5 overall. Too many rattles, particularly around moon roof sliding lid. Tires holding up real well so far. Radio "so so"

large moonroof, great in snow

head system throws out a lot of heat, but very difficult to control if you want just a little. Too much or not enough. Same problem I had in 05 Outback. Should be dual zone one side passenger other side driver.

Ok but won't buy another Subaru
By kewe

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car a year ago b/c always wanted a Forester. I like the past models better. I usually get Honda or Toyota. Overall car is dependable, will try to drive until over 150k but will never get another one again. Gives decent gas mileage 25 avg for mainly city driving. Car has little power for accelerating on highway, which feels unsafe. Interior looks cheap, fabric on doors is a no no (who thought of that?). The power button on driver side for seat adjustment is too clunky and any slight touch moves the seat. Very annoying. Front passenger seat is too low. Good aspects is that it does well in the snow, great for hauling large items when seats are folded down.

Cargo space, gas mileage, dependability

Change the power button on driver seat, make more ding resistance, more power for accelerating, adjust passenger seat height to match driver seat. No fabric on doors.

My chevy is more dependable
By onedisappointment

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was sold the safety, resale value, and dependability. Well, within two month of purchase I had a cracked windshield, warranty did not cover the crack and it cost me $370 to replace. and now the car has a leak in the evaporator core and it costing me about $1000 to fix. This car barely 2 years old. My Chevy has 276k miles and still runs with original A/C. Never again will by a Subaru again!