Used 2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 232 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Nice, but I like my 2005 better
By javan68

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Forester that is the 2.5X Manual version.
I bought the 2009 for my wife, with the Auto.
It is the Premium version.
As a summary, I like the vehicle, but the fuel economy is crap.
We get about 20-22 mpg on average, whereas my '05 gets 26-28 on average.
If we really baby the gas and drive ultra conservatively, we may be able to get 25 mpg, but that is a huge IF.
As for Snow driving, I will take the '09 over my '05, granted, my '05 is more fun to drive.
The '09 is like a tank in the snow.

We are in the market for a replacement for the '09.
Our family is growing again, and the forester is just too small.
Perhaps if it got better fuel economy, we would reconsider.

1. The AWD system. It is great, almost flawless IMHO. 2. The 2.5L 4 cyl motor has plenty of power for a lightweight vehicle, and it can get out of it's own way if you want it to. 3. I like the roof rack better than my '05, but wish that they would give you some accessories with the vehicle. 4. The rear storage under the deck. Very nice.

1. A better transmission. The 4 speed is crap, especially with cruise control on in hilly conditions. 2. Put fog lights back in the stock vehicle. You should not have to jump 2 or 3 trim levels to get something that should be basic. 3. Better interior space work / compartments, etc. I find that the '05 had much much better use of storage spaces. 4. Work on better fuel economy. Honestly, what is the point of buying this smaller vehicle if does not get any better fuel economy than a larger vehicle?

Don't Touch My Baby!!!!!
By oldarmywife

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2009 Forester LL Bean Edition, we have gotten a consistent 25 mpg and have had zero issues in the almost 3 years we've had it. We have three reasonably big dogs who fit easily in the back with the seats folded down (and lots of rubber matting!!) and have driven for over 12 hours at a time with the dogs extremely comfortably!

I love the "driving for dummies" addition of letting me know my tires are low which has eliminated the need for me to check them and the heated seats are a gem! The driver's seat is my favorite, I can raise it so I can have a panoramic view as I drive and it's sleek design makes it easy to park even in tight spots.

Ability to adjust the seat for my comfort, the small turning radius, the great gas mileage, the beautifully appointed leather interior, the heated seats and other small luxuries.

I would really love a fully adjustable passenger seat so I could adjust it identically to the driver's side...for the very rare occassions I actually allow my husband to drive.

See my last review "I want to love this car, but..."
By deserthillsman

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Since April of this year, I have to downgrade my opinion of this car.

On a recent trip (1200 miles), I found the driver's seat to be so uncomfortable that my lower back and legs were wrecked for several days afterwards.
There is no lumbar adjustment which is a big negative.

Gas mileage on the trip was a mediocre 26.
My overall mpg for the life of the car is 21.3.
I drive fairly conservatively, smooth starts and braking.

This car has absolutely no power when the A/C is on which is a requirement here in the summer.
Transmission is rough.

The silver paint used on the interior is cheap and has flaked off.
The center console is absurd.
It's the bottomless pit.

Turning radius, visibility.

Seats definitely need improvement. Gas mileage could be much better. Transmission should be completely overhauled. Center console should be redesigned, better division of space.

Want to love this car, but...
By deserthillsman

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I like this car, but can't get excited about it.

Overall handling is very good and the turning radius is the best of any small SUVs that I've driven.
It's a very stable drive, and it's been good on rough roads and in the rain.

I have no problem with the sound system as many others seem to have, but I'd love to have more power, the lack of which is sometimes downright dangerous when trying to enter the freeway or pass slow cars on the two lane roads in the desert where I live.

The car has been fairly trouble free for three years, except for the A/C going out last summer in 100+ weather here.
But Subaru took care of the problem and I have to say that they've been very good overall.

Turning radius, interior space, overall good MPG for an AWD (23.5), for the three years I've had it. The handling and ride are good, and I've no complaints about noise levels.

More power for this engine. It's a problem when trying to pass or when entering the freeway, especially when the A/C is on. Paint quality both outside and in needs improvement. Minor brushing by leaves on a tree left scratches that looked as if someone had used steel wool on the hood. One touch up and down power windows for both driver and front passenger windows. Redesign the console; it's a bottomless pit and impossible to find things.

Excellent Small SUV
By vkinsocal

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car two years now and this car has been nearly flawless. I love the low end RPM power this car has. The torque curve is very flat on Subaru's 4 cyl engine. driving in snow is great. Heater and air conditioning is simple to operate. Wiper controls are fantastic and make sense. Cruise control on the steering wheel as well as radio controls are like a a more expensive car would have. Changing your own oil is a breeze as the oil filter is vertical and you can get to everything without driving the vehicle on ramps. Visibility when backing up is best in class. Paddle shifting manual mode transmission is handy holding gear downhill. For ~25K out the door a fine machine.

Good low end RPM power, Great visibility, turning radius is super tight making it easy to park. Has more features than other SUVs in its class. Rear door when opened clears my garage door (tilt type). Good rear seat leg room. Roof rack works well for skis. Trailer hitch works good for bike rack.

Interior plastics are hard and sometimes have slight rattle especially when cold. Light colored interior is hard to keep clean with kids. Hard to read oil level on dip stick. No temp gage. Replacement tires are expensive but probably for other makes as well.