Used 2009 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 230 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Annual Update - '09 Forester
By BikerGuy

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did a review here when I first purchased my 09 Forester. I've now owned the vehicle for 1 year/11,000 miles, so here is an update. I still really enjoy this car! The AWD was so amazing in the Pacific NW storms this winter, that I bought another Forester for my girlfriend. Only major disappointment is with the thickness/quality of the exterior sheetmetal/paint. It seems to be lower quality & less durable than other SUV's I've owned. My early production model had undersized plastic film fender protectors, so paint chipped and fenders now need to be repaired & repainted.

Favorites features are the AWD, M/T, huge sunroof, ipod i/f, great fuel economy (26-28 mpg around town), safety features, rear visibility, easy fold down rear seats, great cargo capacity.

Better quality exterior paint.

09 Forester
By brian

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have only had this car a few weeks. At this point I'm very satisfied. I have no major complaints. Yes I do have a slight rattle related to the sunroof cover on the inside of car. Not a big deal. Options I bought, tweeter, woofer, IPod connection, fog lights, all weather mats, cargo tray, rear spoiler, hood protector, rugged package (You should buy the rugged package). Handles great on slick streets. Have had to break under emergency condition one time and handling and breaks worked well. Acceleration is very adequate for my driving style. Right now MPG is holding at 22. I have shown this car to many friends who all like it, some of whom had given me a hard time over the type of car.

The huge sunroof is great. The styling is very nice. I really like the stance of the car, high ground clearance. Newport Blue is a great color. I Pod connection is a nice feature. So far very happy with everything. Fun to drive.

At this point he only thing I would change is the the seat heat controls. They are too far back on the center console. Minor issue however. I know many have complained about the sound system. With the woofer and tweeters I enjoy the system, always have the I Pod plugged and playing.

dont buy xt
By bad experience

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

The engine on this car (turbo) blew up in a remote location late at night in a snow storm. We had kids in the car. BAD experience. Totally unacceptable for a car with 9600 miles on it. Subaru paid for the rental car for the time my car was at the dealer; plus got them to pay me $1000 for my hassle and pay for free scheduled maintenance on the car for the rest of the lease term. I was told by dealer that turbo engines have an oil piping problem. The turbo gets starved of oil. The result is mechanical failure of turbo. Metal pieces somehow get into engine. Bye-bye engine.

Overall package is not bad. Gas mileage better than my old suv. Lots of space.

Better quality control by Subaru (how about a functioning engine). improved stereo.

So far, so good
By skeezix

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My first Subaru and first AWD vehicle. Build quality, fit and finish seem very good. Comfortable ride, great on snowy roads but the factory tires will need to be replaced eventually with more wintry all-season tires. The factory ones are really better suited for dry pavement, in my opinion. When I picked this car I primarily liked the cabin size and volume. I felt I was getting better value over the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV (and can't stand rear-door mounted spare tire!). Radio has nice features but sound quality is only fair. Comfortable ride. Combined city/hwy is 22.5 MPG in this hilly area. Only 1700 miles on car at this point. So far, a real pleasure to drive and own.

Love all the room. Reminds me of my old Jeep Cherokee: square and boxy (but a much better ride and gas mileage!). Rear seat passengers have adequate leg and headroom. When back seats are folded down, they actually fold completely level with cargo floor. Like both the interior and exterior styling.

Need a 5-speed automatic transmission. More practical cupholders. Better quality sound system. A little better highway acceleration. Bigger winter floormats. Change option packages so leather and alloys are available without a moonroof. Offer heated cloth seats. Front license plate mount plate.

Great Car
By Tom

2009 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've never owned a Subaru before and I can see why most people who own them think they are great. I can't say anything bad about it and with the snow that we have had in the midwest this winter, I am very impressed by how well it handles deep snow. I have owned several Jeeps and it is every bit as good in the snow as any Jeep I have ever owned, but with much better fuel economy. This is the best suv bargain out there.

Great build quality, ergonomics and fit an finish. The fuel economy and over all driveability are great, and though is not a sports car, it is really enjoyable to drive.

I would suggest an inside release for the rear gate.