Used 2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 230 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Best of the small SUv's
By Howard Bowden

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I have since bought a 2014 Subaru turbo Forester ( it is my 5th)

The Bru' is true
By Jim

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This has been a very dependable, safe car. We've had it for 70k miles and it is very cheap to operate. I really have no complaints of a seriuos nature. the sound of the opposed 4 cyl motor with it's 4 spped automatic is less than inspiring but that's a minor thing. the fuel economy has been around 23 mpg around town and i suppose it could be better, but everything else has been so cheap to fix that I really don't mind it. All in all it's been a good car for short trips and grocery getting, etc

Subaru LEMON!!!
By karol schoenbaum

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Don't buy this car for any amount of money...It is a design disaster, more importantly, it is is a major repair money pit. You can count on large regular repair bills, hundreds or thousands of dollars each! I have owned my own car for 58 years. I have spent more money on major repairs on this subaru than I have spent on all my other vehicles combined!!! You name it and I have repaired it on this vehicle.

major engine repairs needed at only 45,000 miles
By Caitlin Urie

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It had just over 45,000 miles on it when there was a knocking noise coming from the engine, so I took it to the dealership. They told me the short block needed to be replaced, and quoted me almost $5,000 for the repair. When I asked about a trade in or what my options were they asked me if I had driven the car without oil in it or something! I doubt they would have asked my husband if we had driven the car without oil in it. We have taken good care of maintaining the car, that is how we noticed that it was using way more oil than it should. They told me that without the repair it would only trade in for $3,500. I told them we needed time to make a decision and they did give us their loaner car for the weekend which was nice. When I returned the loaner car they said they would split the repair cost, they pay 70% I pay 30%. I did some research and found several other reviews of 2008-2009 Forester's needing the short block replaced. I plan to fix it then trade it in before anything else goes wrong.

Junk
By Jpw

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I trusted the Subaru name, unfortunately it does not live up to. No power, poor interior design, below average mpg. Had to put a new engine at 120k miles, replaced all 4 wheel bearing because they were rusted out. Can't wait to get rid of.