Used 2008 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Quality problems
By asdf

2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have now had the XT 'newer' version for a little over two years. At 9k miles the engine seized up! I had poor customer service until I called Subaru's US headquarters and tried to talk to president to complain about the quality of their cars. In the end; Subaru fixed the car. I have had LED puddle lights short out each winter (one time I actually witnessed smoke!) Now, I need to take back to dealer again with separate electrical problems. I would be satisfied with this car if I didn't have to take to dealer so much. The XT engine is nice, and the cargo space is just right for a small family. The fake color plastic bits by door window switches scratch very easily.

Engine, cargo space, AWD, gas mileage, sun roof

Improve radio/speakers, improve side mirrors(they shake), improve cheap interior, better quality control, improve customer service, steering wheel control buttons to small, improve the road wind noise.

A good solid B+
By walorado

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had a Subaru or two along the way, and decided on the 08 Premium because of a value package. Great vehicle with a couple of small hiccups. Had a minor issue with the AC but was resolved under warranty. Replaced the driver's door speaker 3 times, also under warranty. In fact, the stereo is a real weak point in the car for me. Really lame speakers, and I paid for the "upgrade." Seats are comfortable and fit my rather copious rump easily. Plenty peppy even here in the high country of Colorado. AWD system is very good, but the 2008 model lacks stability control. Without it, the car's rear end can slip out if you aren't careful in the snow. I'd buy the car again, though.

Really like the peppy engine. Reliability has been great. AWD is solid. Seat bottom is long and supportive enough to make the car good for longer trips. Sirius radio is a nice feature and worth the money. Cargo space is excellent for a smaller SUV. Fit & finish is very good overall.

Speakers are a huge disappointment in a car this good. Crummy, actually. Will be buying aftermarket speakers now that I'm out of warranty. Dealer tried to charge me $800 for the 30K service, but talked them down to $499. Ripoff! Don't be afraid to shop around.

Great Subaru
By Carter

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Love this car. Right before the major 2009 redesign they were making the nicest Forester they could. Everything about the car feels tight and smooth. I had a 2002 Outback before this car, and this car is much better. The automatic and the 4 cyl. engine feel strong compared to the Outback's weak, noisy 4 cyl. and jerky manual transmission. The interior feels premium, with just a few hard plastics to distract. Interior like a greenhouse with panoramic sunroof; bright and cheery in beige.

Great engine transmission. Sharp and smooth responses to acceleration, steering and braking. Heated everything. Bright, open interior.

Stereo could be better.

The Best Car I've ever had !!!!! Period
By farside7

2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had a Chrysler 300 Limited Brand new, Chevy Impala brand new, a coup deville and to me this is the best car I've ever owned, period. The ride is smooth, the vehicle has great power. I put a remote start on It and a trailer hitch. I get about 26 to 27 on the hwy. The interior room is awesome ! I'm 5'10" and 280 pound! I still have plenty of room!

Really fun to drive. Color is pearl blue, 6 CD disk changer, great air & heat. Braking is great, the turning radius is wonderful ! The 3 12volt socket are great.

Maybe even better fuel, but other than that "NONE".

Not Fancy but dependable
By Soyoung Chung

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I waited for 2 years to review to avoid premature review. Finally, I feel comfortable to say "Yes, it is very dependable and reliable". I don't feel stylish nor luxurious, however very humble and sort of old friend. As other review, engine sounds a bit loud and when I accelerate, response is a little slow/hesitant. Although I am not driving the fastest car...I will be on time and safe! That's all that counts!!! Thank you "SUBARU".

All wheel drive...saved me several times last winter.

Fuel economy, although it's not bad, there is room for improvement.