Used 2006 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Great vehicle!!
By DRE in KS

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This is my 4th Subaru, but first Forester. XT model is loaded with lots of nice options that make it near a luxury car feel. Comfortable and stylish and it will blow the little sports cars and luxury SUVs off the line (not that I would do such a thing).

Big sun/moon roof. Stereo system sounds great and vehicle comfort is excellent, even on a long drive - we just went 10 hours and it was great, even for two tall teens in the back seat.

Fuel efficiency. Only avg around 20 in town. 24-26 on hwy. Turbo gets less than the normal 2.5L engine, and it's still not bad for what you get.

Subaru Forester X
By Agent_N

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I like my Subie! Where else can you get a vehicle that has all-wheel drive and gets better than 29 MPG with mostly highway driving? I have owned my Forester for 3/4 of a year now and have had no problems so far (I purchased it used with 32,000ish miles). It gets around better in bad weather than the Jeep Cherokee Sport that I had previously owned. The interior has some rattles and the materials aren't the best, but what do you expect to get on a vehicle with all-wheel drive for $22,000 or so? Gas mileage has varied from 23 in very cold weather (mostly city) to 36 at 55 MPH. I don't have a lead foot so that helps :) I usually average 30MPG at 65-75 MPH. 70-80% highway & the rest city.

All-wheel drive. Great gas mileage for what it is. Has small SUV cargo space but gets much better mileage than small SUV.

I am really looking forward to Subaru possibly releasing their boxer diesel in America! I would guesstimate that I would get 15-25 MPG better mileage with a diesel than I currently get with a petrol engine. The 4 speed tranny is sluggish and really needs to be improved!! Better interior material.

After 46K - still and awesome car!!
By KW

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium Package 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 46,000 miles - I still love this car! Down the road, there will be a another Subie purchased; that is for sure. I wanted to pass along some advice. When replacing your tires, do not put the Geolanders HT's (OE) back on, these are not good tires. Subaru recommends H-rated tires; however, I replaced them with Yokohama Avid TRz which are t-rated and seems to do better overall. They ride quiet, handle great in rain and snow, and seem to last. Subaru should have made the TRz the OE tire. I have been averaging 27 mpg overall; best I got was 30, the worst I got was 21. Not bad at all. I love this car, and recommend it to anyone. The 09's are bigger and ride a little quieter

Moon roof, weather-band radio, heated seats, best AWD system in the world, ride, fun to drive, 6-disk CD changer, snow and ice handling, reliability, and, service is great!

Extenders on visors, standard tinted windows (the 2009's do now), replace the Yokohama Geolander HT's with Yokohama Avid TRz's and original tires. Small things, but anything can be improved. Buy this car, you will not regret it.

SOLID & RELIABLE ALL WEATHER COMMUTER
By Brian McCloskey

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've driven this car now for a year and a half. During that time I've put on 35,000 miles. I should add I downsized from a Toyota Landcruiser. The biggest question any prospective buyer wants to know is: "would you buy it again?" My answer would be a resounding YES. This is a super little vehicle. I don't know where some of these reviewers learned to drive in inclement weather, but we live in New England and ours fly's in the snow. Never a hint of slipping. Creature comforts are average. I wish the cloth seats weren't so prone to wearing and staining. But ours has over 50K miles on it and we've done nothing but change the oil. This is a great AWD vehicle with very good mileage.

Peppy, very solid in rain/snow conditions; economical to operate and own. I think this is a super practical but comfortable AWD vehicle.

The cloth seats could use an upgrade. If I had it to do over again I'd go with leather.

Great car
By Dutch

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am a Subaru junky! It is wonderful on wet, dry, snow, but ice---well ice is ice. Never had a problem with any of my Subaru's.

AWD and reliability