Used 2006 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

ABS light watch out
By Diana

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

alert light came on. No obvious problems. Took car into dealer. Said I needed new electronic gizmo. Cost me $600. Now there's trouble with braking on loose gravel and the ABS light is back. Car returned for similar work with charges at which time I gave up on the car and leased a 2017 Forester with battery issues due to too much computer usage,etc. while car is off. Can't let car sit for days especially in this desert heat. Must exercise car everyday to keep battery charged. Really need a car without all these extra computer software draining battery while car is sitting. A new car with basics, similar to 2006 model.

Great car but lots of repairs Starting at 120k.
By mtnmrm@gmail.com

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this at 100,000 miles for 8000. I'm on the fence on whether It was worth it or not. Been a good car but i've put some real maintenance dough into it.

Pros: handling, acceleration, steering, quite roomy because of it's boxy shape and the seats that can fold forward. Really high clearance, all wheel drive, good suspension all means that this car can handle a wide variety of conditions, from poorly maintained roads to very wintry weather. I use my car for construction and enjoye the spaciousness in the back (especially with seats folded down) and being able to get places that big trucks sometimes can't get to.

Cons: It's interior is quite delicate. I know I said I used it for construction, but I've had a number of cars before and I was disappointed with how easily the interior aged, dinged, scratched, and the upholstery tore and the carpet at the feet are tearing and wearing as well. The biggest issue is the major and minor repairs that you risk after about 120k miles on it, maybe sooner if you're not lucky. I guess this is true for most cars that aren't Toyota or Honda. I have put $3000 into it in four years. The big issues have been head gasket repair, multiple belt issues. The little issues have been thermostat, leaking and burning oil, emergency break stopped working, hatch stopped shutting, weather stripping coming undone and lots of air noise, leaking steering fluid. All this on top of a drop in gas mileage since I bought it, and "regular maintenance" like getting the timing belt replaced and fluid changes so looking back I would have looked for something maybe less 'nice' but more reliable.

So far head gaskets are good, fingers crossed......

Beautiful Car; Great Capability
By Owen Long

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is beautiful on the outside, fuel efficient and functional. The all wheel drive makes it easy to steer in any conditions. Love this Car!

The Forester Makes It's Way
By Richard Voigt

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Car is very reliable and safe. That should be important to you. No regrets after 10 years of ownership. This car is a real gem.

Super Subaru
By Janette Davis

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Of the numerous cars I have owned, this is the third Subaru I have owned. This one is number two on my favorites list. Last one met its end after more 200,000 miles. I still miss it. This one was a fair replacement, but the interior got it share of wear and tear. The old one held up to the same conditions that this one failed to work with. I have dogs, their claws did not make a dent in the last one, this one showed their affects right away. Other than that and the Cruise Control issue, it is a great car. The storage room in the back has been very useful. It is strong enough to pull other cars out of the mud. The back seats fold up so you have even more room and there is a cover for the back storage so no one can see what you are hauling if you have something you want to keep out of sight.