Used 2006 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Fun to Drive
By Analei

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Yes, fun to drive. It's not even a year old and I'm going to pass the 20,000 mile mark this week. I didn't notice how smooth this car is until I got into a friend's PT Cruiser...yuk! My Forester handles well, is comfortable but firm. I hate a boat-like ride or big suvs. I'm averaging 27.5 mpg which is nice. I love the big windows and the cover in the back to cover my shopping bags, especially at Christmas time. All the gauges are logically placed and I can finally reach the radio in a car without leaning over! I'd buy it again if I needed a car right now.

I like the room in the back, the storage holes in the sides, tie down rings. It's like a covered small truck. Good for me and the things I carry. It's very sure-footed on the road. GREAT traction. No more spinning my wheels when it's wet. I live in the city and it's easy to park. Simple, nice car.

Tint on the back window would be nice. Lights on the vanity mirrors are needed. Why no hatch release on the floor next to the fuel door release? Needs telescoping steering wheel.

First 20,000 fine so far
By BNK

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

GREAT visibility. Super easy to drive, back-up and park. Yes, it's not the most comfortable...it's not sold as a comfort car. I'd rather have a little stiffness for the great handling. To those who think it's so bad for your back...did you even test drive it? I get 26-28mpg with about 50/50 highway/city in our warm weather. No problems at all. Easy DIY oil changes. The car does need better tires and a thicker rear sway bar for those wanting performance. Car runs very smoothly and is more fun to drive than any of the past 4 Toyotas I've owned.

Visibility, traction in the rain (haven't driven it in snow), smoothness and size. Very easy to park, short and narrow. I like the height-adjustable driver's seat. Easy to upgrade radio and change parts.Good lights. Takes turns very flat. You won't find 40 of these in a parking lot. Safety.

Need better tires, mp3 radio on all models, would like steering wheel radio controls. Offer a 5 speed auto. Tint the rear windows. Rear disc brakes should be standard on all models. Bring back the full sized spare. Put a hatch release button on the remote. Add auto locking doors. Less rattles.

Safe, well handling vehicle
By safetyminded

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have a 40 mile daily commute on hilly and winding back roads. Subaru performs well in all seasons. Effective fog lights in inclement weather.

Security of top safety ratings, 4-wheel drive in poor weather, reasonable gas mileage, good driving position. This vehicle is also driven by two teenage sons, so safety is a paramount issue in our family.

Would benefit from 5-speed transmission. Door fit not as tight as Toyota Camry I also own; Camry has light around keyhole that is a nice feature when starting car in unlit area.

Update - 1st Subaru for Me
By MB

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had the car since April '06, and after about 6,000 miles, it just hasn't grown on me. The guy who complained about the jerky ride is right -- sometimes it feels like a roller coaster because the engine speeds up and slows down so much. And yes to the skewed consumer magazine opinions -- the Forester X does not deserve a top rating. I don't get near the 25 MPG the others talk about. I am lucky to get 21 MPG. I had a Jeep Liberty before the Subaru, and I can't wait to go back to Jeep. I haven't driven the Subaru in the snow yet, and if it doesn't perform like my Jeep, it's going! Haven't gained respect for the Subaru like I did for the Jeep (owned 4 Jeeps prior to the Forester).

Slightly better MPG than most SUVs. Crash test ratings and standard side airbags are impressive. These are the only reasons I switched from Jeep to Subaru. Oh, and I believed the consumer magazines when they said how great the car was. It's O.K., but not great.

Fix the engine -- it hesitates for a few seconds when you accelerate -- and this is very dangerous when turning left in an intersection. Also, make it so the doors automatically lock when you start driving, and will unlock when you pull the door handle to get out.

Great SUV for average family
By jrm

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have found this SUV to meet are needs to a tee, it is not for the off road crowd. But it will get the average person anywhere they want to go. In the city it handles the traffic and parking with no problem. Logging roads and trails back to your favorite fishing spot this SUV gets you there where a bigger vehicle would not even fit. Getting to work, store or home in any reasonable snow storm is a breeze. And you don't feel like you are stopping all the time to fill up with gas. This is just the kind of vehicle that you just jump into and go. You just know it will start and get you where you need to be in a safe and efficient manner. After a while you take it for granted.

All wheel drive that just does it thing and you don't even notice the road condition unless a vehicle near you is having problems.

Disk brakes all the way around should be standard, not part of a package.