Used 2005 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Fun and function in one!
By Bob Kelly

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The XT's performance is exceptional, not only the engine response, but the overall handling also. It replaced a M-B E-Class and had big shoes to fill. It hasn't disappointed. Hauling capacity is adequate and it is usually our car-of-choice. No problems in over 15,000 miles.

Engine. Traction on any surface.

Passenger side electric seat.

nice vehicle
By mike

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great wagon, got this last year after selling our minivan. Gas mileage is better than expected with the manual. Gets 30 mpg easy on the highway. About 26 city. AWD is great. Solid, well made vehicle. Seats are firm and supportive.

AWD. MPG. Safety. Love the hill holder clutch. Nice clutch.

Could be wider and a little longer.

Subaru will get you there and back...
By LISA CARNAHAN

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Subaru Forester is an excellent car over all. However, in the 2nd month of ownership a fuse blew controlling the rear brake lights. This was unknown to the driver until pulled over by police, creating a very embarrassing & dangerous situation. Car would be better if it had a warranty like an Isuzu.

Huge sunroof, fuel economy is fabulous, interior is super, extremely easy to navigate in traffic and parallel park. It climbs California hills like a billy goat on steroids.

An on board gps system, OnStar, front seat that folds forward. Redesign inside to complement a mobile office. Defrostable windshield. Make it in a diesel for even better gas mileage.

Want to love it, but can't.
By scoobiephobe

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Like the car, the look, the capabilities. We are very disappointed with the early head gasket leak. This weakness, as I later found out, is a common problem to this engine model. Keep in mind this car only has 9,000 miles on it. The transmission is also a weak spot. It seems to hunt constantly and will hesitate to engage. We will not be keeping this car past warranty. There are websites devoted to the problems we've had, I wished we had done a little more research before we bought. Most reviews for this car were excellent. We have had good dealer treatment so far regarding our concerns. We really like the car, too bad we can't keep it the 10 years we wanted to.

Cold weather package on XS model. All wheel drive. Automatic headlights.

Tinted glass option. Less sensitive key fob. Better drivetrain reliability and function. Better fuel mileage.

Ok, but lacking in certain areas.
By Mister R

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a AWD SUV and didn't want another monster (I had a Tahoe) and had options that were a must. The Forester seemed like a good compromise. Or so I thought. I bought it sight unseen based on reviews and comparisons. BIG mistake. The suspension is such that you feel every pebble in the road as if it were a boulder. Driving noise invades the interior and the gas mileage is no where near what I had expected. At 6'4 and 250 this is clearly the wrong vehicle for me. My right leg rubs against the console and steering wheel. I have to put the seat all the way back and down to accommodate my height - but then have to lean forward to reach the steering wheel. Under powered and transmission slips.

Visibility is excellent 360. Sound system is superb. Hugs every curve and handles well in all weather. Heated seats are a great plus. Bigger sunroof than in any of the larger vehicles I've had. Leather interior - well done and very comfortable. Rear area can accommodate more cargo than it appears to.

Extendable steering wheel. Sun visors are virtually useless as they hit the handle on the side and cover only half of the window - need a built in extension. Interior lighting is awful. Remote unlock button is too big - anything in your pocket will activate it. Drivers door must be manually unlocked.