Used 2005 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

GREAT SUV TO DRIVE, BUY, OWN!
By D. Pysh

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have only driven this car 4000 miles so far. We did take it up to Canada and had no problems. Handles great especially on curves and hills. Good gas mileage. I have always driven a v8 and this is my first 4 cylinder. For all you drivers out there with long legs this just might be the vehicle for you! The Forester really surprised me. This was one major plus for me purchasing this SUV. I've turned down tons of vehicles due to front seat leg room. And the back seat leg room doesn't matter much anyway with me driving. The moon roof is huge, lots of storage, bells and whistles a plus. Only gripe is no auto door locks. Have to keep reminding myself to lock the doors. I'll adjust because car is great.

Leg room is my favorite feature. This little SUV has more leg room when driving then most of the bigger SUVs I test drove and I looked for 3 months for a vehicle!

Automatic doors locks would be great. It has everything else you could want.

Traded in my Explorer
By Robert

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Explorer for this Forester. Having now driven more than 14000 miles in 6 months, I have saved quite a bit on fuel costs, as well as having the comfort of a smoother ride. It has all the room I need, even when taking extended trips, and it looks good. I caught the dealer at a good time, and they took $4000 off the sticker before my trade.

We had a large snow storm right after I bought my Forester, and with drifts up to the front head lights, I had no problem traveling on the road. I love the AWD.

Put a frame around the windows. Glass on rubber will eventually wear out and allow wind noise.

Quite the little power house!
By Ruben Escatell

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This Subaru (my first!) exceeded my expectations of a mini SUV ... handles more like a sports car with its breathtaking acceleration and road-hugging suspension. With state-of-the-art sound system, this car as a highway cruiser year round has no peer, whether in snow, sleet, rain, or sun!

Turbo-charged engine, symmetrical AWD, sound system, automatic climate control.

Nothing. To really spoil me, a navigation system would be a nice premium touch.

Good Value Overall
By Speedwagon

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first Subaru I've owned and it compares favorably to the RAV4 and the CR-V. It's a tremendous value for the money. However, the interior lacks the refinement of European counterparts - both in terms of materials and ergonomics. Road noise and wind noise are excessive. Although the engine has nice low-end torque, it has inadequate passing power on the highway.

Smooth ride, great handling, AWD, visibility, reliability, manual climate control.

Needs telescoping steering wheel, stronger interior lighting, and higher driver's door armrest. Wind and road noise could be reduced. Subaru should replace the the frameless windows with regular framed windows - might help with excessive wind noise.

I love this car
By PW

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After hearing some of my friends rave about their Subarus, I had been looking at buying the Forester for 2 years. I finally decided to buy in April and this is the best car I've ever owned --- it's a pleasure to drive, has plenty of cargo space, and great gas mileage.

Heated side mirrors, rear wiper, automatic turn-off lights, fog lights, AWD, fuel economy, overall ride quality.

Nothing, I love this car.