Used 2004 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews

Used Forester for Sale
Select your model:
12345...50

Pros
Cons

It's not a station wagon!

T-$, 01/13/2005
XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This vehicle is rock solid. It chews up the lousy road conditions a crummy New England winter can throw at you. No need to shovel your driveway when you have one of these parked in it. This car will crunch its way up the steepest ice covered hill in town. I also love the fact that off the line you can easily smoke those larger SUV's. All of my friends are surprised at the power the Forester has after the take a spin in it. So please people get it straight the Forester XT is not a station wagon - it's a small SUV!

Excellent Car!

Charles, 05/13/2008
X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a 10 all round. It may seem strange that I gave all 10's but this is purely in consideration of the type of car it is. For performance for example, some may say that it is slow, especially for 165 hp. However, in any conditions with poor traction, it is absolutely essential for good performance (ie not sliding off the road) that power delivery isn't snappy and immediate. Handling is surprisingly good for the type of car it is and this must in part be due to the low center of gravity of the boxer engine.

Subaru thumps-up

Gerry, 03/21/2017
X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Over more than twelve years, I've driven my Forester 165,000 miles. Costliest repair was replacing the head gasket a few years back. Otherwise, maintainence has been relatively pain-free. Average mileage around 25. In cold weather the lifters are noisy. I've been told this is normal with the boxer engine and no damage is being done. Cabin suffers from wind noise when driving on an interstate. Overall, my complaints are minor as I've been well-served by this vehicle. Definitely captured the "utility" in sport UTILITY vehicle.

2004 Forester with lots of power!

Christopher, 05/06/2018
XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have only owned the vehicle for about two months and am very happy with power and performance. I really wanted to get a Forester with large moon roof but unable to find low millage with head gaskets, timing belt, and water pump already done in my price range. I do like the heated seats in my model. Good breaking, prompt and tight steering. Peppy acceleration with my 5 speed manual. My biggest complaint about the vehicle is that the road noise is quite high, especially on the freeway. There appears to be wind or air coming through speaker looking device near mirror on driver's side door, weird. Had to replace two belts within first month of owning car, but when you buy a 2004 vehicle with 113.000 not a big deal.

Premature wheel bearing failure

pinging_ej25, 12/04/2009
X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car new and liked it with respect to driving and its AWD feature. What owners should be aware of is that this is a high maintenance vehicle. Parts like the wheel bearing fail prematurely (<60,000 miles) and can go on undetected for months and years and mistaken as just tire noise. Repair cost is >$450 per wheel.

12345...50