Used 2004 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews - 241 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Still in Love 5 years later!
By EJGauthier

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Did my research before buying my Subie. Used to drive 4X4 Cherokee 4.0L. Rented one for a few weeks to test it properly, but it wasn't a turbo. Test drove the new 2004 Turbo and bought it on the spot. Has every feature possible and most accessories. I changeover my tires Winter(use Toyo Walnut shell composite)/Summer( still have my factory tires). The AWD, antilock brakes and low center of gravity has proven to be an extremely stable, safe and solid vehicle for me. I would buy the same again in a NY minute. Love the rearview mirror with autodimmer and compass. Love the weatherband radio! Love leather smells awesome everytime I sit down. Love the great big sunroof, increases my big sky country!

Turbo charged acceleration, interior finish, big windows feels large and minimizes blind spots for 360 degrees. Has the character of a wagon and the feel of a sports car. Autodimmer rearview mirror saves from the bright headlights. Big sunroof, turns subie into a convertible.

I would have liked an electric 8 point drivers seat as I spend a lot of time in there and heaters for my occasional backseat passengers.

Turbo blown
By Disappointed

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car used as the dealership reved about the longevity of the Subaru engine. At 135000 KMs the Turbo blew up. Car was always well maintained. Of course with the high miles the warranty had expired (for ileage not age) so no dealership would help. First and last Subaru I'll ever own.

Turbo was super fun (when it worked) and handling in snow with snow tires was great.

In the 5th Year I'm still lovin' Subie
By Elizabeth

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I migrated from a Jeep 6 cyl to the Subaru Forester XT. I was looking for comfort, safety, power, and a great looking ride. I saw my Subie and fell in love. I added the smart mirror and command start, the only two options not already there. The defrosting and seat warmers and that fact my car is smart enough to blow cold air in the winter initially means I never have foggy windows. How much more could I ask for? I'm so glad I made the choice for this head turning vehicle. Each time I fill I am asked about Subie. I draw unusual attention when I cart my 16 foot canoe on top the factory racks.

AWD, turbo, antilock brakes, defrosting, wiper elements front and back, and mirror defrosters, seat heaters, stereo 6CD changer, weatherband radio and finally the big sunroof. I feel like I have a convertible when that's all the way open! Did I mention the cargo room?

I feel sorry for the people who ride in the back seat, no seat heaters there.

STi in disguse
By Foos

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall, this is the best car I have ever had. You have all the utility of a station wagon/SUV, but the guts of a sports car. With a little bit of tuning, this car competes with a stock STi. Without a doubt this is the wolf in the sheep's clothing.

Turbo motor. Mustangs don't like me.

Better factory tune for gas mileage. With software changes to the ECU, I have picked up 10% in mileage. Subaru could have easily done this.

Sleeper
By fun2drive

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Most people think of this vehicle as a soccer mom's grocery getter. If you're looking to impress people at first sight, then this is not the car for you. This car is very practical. Plenty of room for almost everything including 4 adults. Great visibility and very maneuverable in town due to its small turning radius. Excellent comfort. Cabin layout and seats are perfect. Car is very stable, especially for something so high off the ground. 5speed has relatively short throws and the entire shifting process is very smooth. MPG: worst-18 best-26 city-20 hwy-25 mixed-23 Car is geared low for acceleration. At 70mph you're at 3K rpm. Could use a 6-speed for hwy gas mileage

Extremely pleasant to live with every day. Extremely fun on country roads. This has no LS1 V8, but in stride, between 3K-5K rpm this engine is a beast. Steering is very direct.

Climate control isn't perfect. Not very aerodynamic so high wind noise at high speed. Small turbo engine-power is low with AC on. Some turbo lag, but definitely not as bad as 2L wrx, and taken care of with some extra down-shifting. Power not matched by brakes or suspension, but they are adequate