Used 2004 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 240 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

The 2004 Subaru Forester was a Life-Saver
By pktsizecub

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a silver Forester because of the snow and ice we get in Eastern Oregon. This car exceeded expectations. I never got below 25 MPG on the hwy, and around 22 in town. When "Chains Required" signs are posted on the interstate, this car buzzed past all the cars chaining up. Subaru is amazing for their safety and high quality. Because my son survived an extreme accident with only bruises I can endorse this car fully. I'm not saying another car wouldn't have performed as well. But this Subaru when put to the test, passed with flying colors.

Alas, this car gave up its life and saved my son in the process. He was driving on I-84 from Portland near Cascade Locks, OR in torrential rain & icy conditions. He attempted to pass a tractor-trailer. The truck changed lanes and ran over the passenger side of the car. He walked away with bruises

Excellent Car!
By Charles

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a 10 all round. It may seem strange that I gave all 10's but this is purely in consideration of the type of car it is. For performance for example, some may say that it is slow, especially for 165 hp. However, in any conditions with poor traction, it is absolutely essential for good performance (ie not sliding off the road) that power delivery isn't snappy and immediate. Handling is surprisingly good for the type of car it is and this must in part be due to the low center of gravity of the boxer engine.

AWD, not too big, economical, handling, styling, boxer engine, tan interior is nice

More rear leg room

I'll keep going back to Subaru!
By JP

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My second Forester was the 2004 and it was such a good, solid car. I've listened to so many "regular car" drivers complain about snow, ice, etc. I never had those problems with this Forester or the one I traded in to get this one (1998). Just traded it in for a Legacy which I love, but I do miss all the storage cubbies in the Forester! I really love the Subaru line - so many things that are "extra" in other brands are "standard" for Subaru, such as carpeted mats, keyless remote, etc. Between that, the AWD, and a good dealership, I'm a Subaru owner for life!

Solid feel; gas mileage; storage cubbies; AWD.

The rear hatch bar that's used to close the back door had some rusting/bubbling of paint. Didn't like the styling of the car; my husband called it a "giant roller skate". Also the Forester had a hard, "truck-like" ride.

I love it! I love it! I love it!
By ejgauthier

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What can I say,still smitten after 5 years! Peppy, reliable, safe, still looks like new with this black leather with white exterior. Big windows make the big sky bigger. BIG sunroof turns my Subie into a convertible. Comfy inside, pleny of room too. Love the sporty driving appeal with low center of gravity yet high clearance. It's the perfect car for the mountains and highways where Canadian winters go on and on and on! Did I mention I loved my SUV(Subie Utility Vehicle).

Sun roof, 6CD stero, weather band, big windows, leather comfort and styling. Protected rocker panels with the moulded lower panels and mudflaps. And OMG the Turbo makes me feel like a NASCAR driver too.

I wished the drivers seat was electic, but I guess Subaru have fixed that in subsequent years. Too bad my car will last so long before I get a new one. Meet me here in another 5 years for the ten year review! LOL

Still in Love 5 years later!
By EJGauthier

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Did my research before buying my Subie. Used to drive 4X4 Cherokee 4.0L. Rented one for a few weeks to test it properly, but it wasn't a turbo. Test drove the new 2004 Turbo and bought it on the spot. Has every feature possible and most accessories. I changeover my tires Winter(use Toyo Walnut shell composite)/Summer( still have my factory tires). The AWD, antilock brakes and low center of gravity has proven to be an extremely stable, safe and solid vehicle for me. I would buy the same again in a NY minute. Love the rearview mirror with autodimmer and compass. Love the weatherband radio! Love leather smells awesome everytime I sit down. Love the great big sunroof, increases my big sky country!

Turbo charged acceleration, interior finish, big windows feels large and minimizes blind spots for 360 degrees. Has the character of a wagon and the feel of a sports car. Autodimmer rearview mirror saves from the bright headlights. Big sunroof, turns subie into a convertible.

I would have liked an electric 8 point drivers seat as I spend a lot of time in there and heaters for my occasional backseat passengers.