Used 2004 Subaru Forester X Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Excellent Family Vehicle
By M. Park

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Family is just two + a dog, but it's got room for more. We traded in 2000 Honda Passport V6, and got Forester 17 months ago, and we still love it. It's a bit boxy, but ride is far more comfortable than Passport, drives better in snow and ice, it takes far less gas and on top of all that it's safer. It does all the things SUV does, only better, and it beats a sedan in luggage and grocery hauling too. It's an excellent vehicle. Practical, practical!

Perfect entry height. It's higher than a sedan and lower than SUV, didn't know how good it is until Forester. Excellent snow driving! Room for my radio control planes, and charger plug in the cargo area for charging RC batteries. Outside temp gauge.

Gas mileage is not so hot, but then we drive in a city. I want an outside temp gauge in the center. The charge plug in the cargo area should be on without keys in the ignition. If I have to go to the driver's seat to turn it on, how can I use the charge plug in the cargo area? Better cornering?

Not as good as they use to be.
By lemonade

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car thinking it would be as reliable and trouble free as my '95 Legacy. I was wrong! Numerous rattles, squeaks and creaks developed in the dash, console, and front passenger door. The auto transmissionwas rough and jerky shifting. The front end would grind and rattle when pulling into a parking space. Two dealers were unable to fix even a single problem. The dealer also always overfilled the engine by half a quart of oil during oil changes. Lousy service, warranty, and car. NEVER WILL BUY ONE AGAIN!

Very comfortable seats for tall drivers. Great handling and steering feel. Excellent all around visibility. Great sounding 6 speaker stereo.

Get rid of the rattles! Smooth out the auto transmission. Fix the wheel bearing problems inherent with the car. Mine began leaking grease immediately. Train dealer mechanics to actually fix the cars and train them to check the oil level after they change it.

Safe and Fun To Drive
By Asa Packer

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2004 2.5X has been a good, but not great car. Great fun to drive, economical and very safe, but the engine sips coolant and there's a light, intermittent engine knock. Subaru dealers can't or won't diagnose either problem. Time will tell how long our Subaru lasts.

Acceleration, shifting and handling is terrific -- and ours is the NON-turbo!

Get the coolant consumption problem fixed!

Perfect for our Needs
By Mowine4me

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We needed a car that could haul stuff for our home improvement projects, got great mileage, was reliable and under $20,000. Final purchase price was $19,800 new, and the car has been everything we wanted. The engine could use a little more power when merging onto a highway, but otherwise we love the car and highly recommend it.

It can haul a lot of stuff. We have moved lumber, glass block and office furniture. It's great.

A bigger engine would be nice. To get the 6 cylinder required buying a different model and a lot more money we were not able to spend.

2004 Forester X
By Neal

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Forester X is a wonderfully affordable, versatile everyday driver that is fun to drive. The gas mileage beats almost any other SUV, with the trade off being less power. If power is important, get the XT version. I took this car into foot-deep snow here without snow tires or chains and the X just plowed through it as stable and positive as you could want it. The handling is superb. What I really liked about this car was the price - for what you get, they practically give it away. With rear seats folded down, it handled 2 adults and their luggage for a vacation just fine. With a pet barrier, it takes my 70-lb. dog everywhere. In a nutshell: practical, reliable, versatile, fun, cheap.

All wheel drive. Handling. Exterior styling. Headrests. Fold flat rear seats. Roof rack Handling .Parking. Oh yes, did I mention the price? Dirt cheap for what you get. You can't price a RAV4 anywhere near a Forester X for the same features.

Tinted windows from the factory, like other SUV's.