Used 2004 Subaru Forester X Wagon Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

I'll keep going back to Subaru!
By JP

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My second Forester was the 2004 and it was such a good, solid car. I've listened to so many "regular car" drivers complain about snow, ice, etc. I never had those problems with this Forester or the one I traded in to get this one (1998). Just traded it in for a Legacy which I love, but I do miss all the storage cubbies in the Forester! I really love the Subaru line - so many things that are "extra" in other brands are "standard" for Subaru, such as carpeted mats, keyless remote, etc. Between that, the AWD, and a good dealership, I'm a Subaru owner for life!

Solid feel; gas mileage; storage cubbies; AWD.

The rear hatch bar that's used to close the back door had some rusting/bubbling of paint. Didn't like the styling of the car; my husband called it a "giant roller skate". Also the Forester had a hard, "truck-like" ride.

Solid Car
By zak

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

31,000 miles on my 2004 Subaru. Very happy with performance, reliability. Excellent in snow. Researched every car in the class before purchase and am convinced the Subaru Forester best choice.

Solid body construction. Power. Versatility. All wheel drive performance in snow.

The upholstery and floor coverings are of extremely low quality. Electrical junction connector pushed through carpet 2 weeks after I had it. The stereo speaker rattled from the day I got it. Plastic molding between front and back windows gets blown off by car wash dryers every time.

Tow Beast
By Kavoom

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it a year now and gone 24K miles with about 7k of those on camping trips with a small pop up camper running around 1800 lbs loaded. I have a manual transmission. I have been in mountains plains and it drives like a dream, 22 mpg pulling as fast as 75 mph across Nebraska (29 to 31 mpg w/o trailer). I am on my third Subaru and the Forester is the best so far and that's saying something. Best small tow vehicle in U.S.

Quickness, safety features, mileage, back room for hauling and the dog loves the view ... he can see out unlike most others where the deck is low.

Low range transmission, like Australia, load leveling shocks on all of 'em, like Australia, and not just the LL Bean version.

Problems with my 2004 Forester
By Aaron

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have an 2004 Forester and had to have in the shop 3 times for them to figure out I had a bad fuel injector head. It was fixed and works fine now. This morning I had to take it in again because the car overheats when the A/C is on. I did my research on Subarus and none of the data indicated that I would have the type of problems I'm having. I think I'm going to trade my car in for a Honda. My Subaru has become unreliable for my family.

I enjoy the safety rating it received.

More power for the X model, it does not have much power when getting on the freeway and you can hear the gears shifting as it tries to go up a hill. Also, the brakes seem to be a little spongy.

Love this car!
By happyferret

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our first Subaru three years ago and loved it. When we needed a second car we knew we didn't need the size of another Outback so we checked out the Forester. It's great to drive and fantastic in the snow. My aunt bought a Forester in 2000 and an additional one a few months ago. Our family is committed to the 'bu.