Used 2002 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

First and Last Subaru
By roch_mn

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Having driven mostly Toyota, this was my 1st Subaru. Currently at 70k miles. Disappointing quality even though I keep on top of regular maintenance. While under warranty the floorboard took on water and carpet was removed and dried, and the transmission was disassembled to replace bearings. I've had two O2 sensors replaced at my cost. Interior feels cheap, seats are uncomfortable, and no LATCH system for car seats. Wind noise on the highway.

AWD system works well in Minnesota winters, however, snow tires probably work just as well for much less money. I've never taken off road, nor would I intend to.

No a good car for the everyday. The AWD system is great, but is overshadowed by the everyday discomforts. Need more leg space in the backseats.

Perfect for Snowy Weather
By Newman

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Forester is great. It gets me where I need to go in any kind of weather.

6-disc in-dash CD changer is great for long trips. All wheel drive has gotten me through situations where others get stuck.

Really none, except at some point I'll be trading for a new one. :)

Shoulda bought a Honda
By GPgurl

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Subaru after reading glowing reviews. Everything was great until I reached about 60000 miles. after an expensive $1800 head gasket replacement and 2 axle replacements, leaking bushings, and a check engine light that's been on since 80,000 miles - I feel robbed-like I'm purchasing the same car all over again one repair at a time. I'm torn between taking my chances with the check engine light and just driving it for a couple more years and getting a Honda. The dealers are no help at all.

Drives well, decent mileage, cargo space is awesome.

cup holder over the ac and radio not good.

176 plus, and still no sign of stopping
By stephen

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my first Subie on May 5th in 01. It had only six miles. Since then, I've racked up just over 176,000 with no problems whatsoever. I kid you not. It still has the original clutch and I put new brakes on about a year ago for the very first time. I average about 28 mix and 31 highway. It's a five speed manual and that accounts for the great gas mileage. The only thing I've done to is change the oil religiously and had a new water pump and timing belt but in at 120k. This car just keeps going and going. I live in Denver and frequent the slopes in the winter and work in Blackhawk. So the car has seen more than it's fair share of snow, rain, and hot summers.

AWD

Nothing. Really.

2002 Subaru Forester
By Ac Cars

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Well I think it should REALLY have improved comfort/road noise!! Also it doesn't have good brakes or reliable cup holders. Mine broke in less than a year! Also those dark/light gray seats soak up way too much sun. I would not recommend it.

Seats.

Road noise, cup holders, seat color, brakes.