Used 2001 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Four-Year Update
By rmay483

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed this car back in 2002 and have gained some new insights since then. In almost six years of ownership and 115,000 miles, it's been very reliable. Had to replace the exhaust Y-pipe, new brakes at 95k, timing belt, and other minor maintenance issues, but otherwise, no major repairs. Check engine light has been on for a while but performance is not impaired. Average 23.5 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. The clutch has been a weak point, as others have noted. Fine for level terrain but too weak for mountain driving. Judders when wet; sometimes grinds gears on shifting, but no replacement needed yet. Changed my mind about interior noise; much louder and coarser than competitors.

Overall reliability. Good handling and decent performance. Lots of cargo space. Decent off-road abilities for a car. Cheap but durable interior materials.

Noisy and cheap-looking interior; lots of road and wind noise. Balky transmission with weak clutch. Check engine light that never goes away. Very sensitive to uneven tire wear -- frequent rotations (5k miles) a must.

2001 Forester
By P J Tramdack

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car just went over 160,000. So far the head gaskets have had to be replaced (this was the subject of a recall) and the front axle was replaced. The check engine light has been on since 60,000. Apparently this means nothing. The Forester is excellent on the icy roads of NW Pennsylvania. It feels very well made. Overall the car has been very good and I will probably buy another one. I think I got my money's worth.

The all wheel drive on ice and snow is superior. I think the disposition of the cargo space is good. I am always carrying skis, telescopes, furniture etc.

I hope they fix the head gasket problem. It would be nice if the check engine light went off.

not as good as expected
By vbollenbacher

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

While I love the AWD, and the best gas mileage around for an AWD, I have not been extremely happy with the quality of this car. There seem to be a number of items like head gasket seal problems and cold weather fuel leaks that the dealer/Subaru will not cover, even though though they are design flaws. The interior ergonomics are not very good either. However, after 100K is still drives extremely smooth. I'd give this car average to above average marks, but I had hoped it would age better with repair issues than it has.

AWD.

Needs better ergonomic dash design and controls. Subaru needs to stand behind defective items like head gasket seals and contracting fuel lines. I may not buy another Subaru. I put high miles on a car and wanted one I could stand by through a few hundred K. Thought this was the one, but seems not.

A very reliable car
By Bill

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in late 2000. It has performed very well during that time. The 2.5 liter boxer engine provides sufficient power to maintain interstate speeds even while climbing some steep Appalachian Mtn. highways. The best feature of this car has been its utility. We've loaded, hauled, and towed many different items with the Forester ... it has a lot of cargo room for its size class. My two biggest complaints have been: 1) outside of a large city, it's difficult to find a quality garage to service the car 2) when in use, the cup holders block/prevent the use of the climate controls (I know that's picky, but after five years of ownership ... it's really annoying).

Peppy engine with pretty good gas mileage. Lots of interior room for its size class.

Better placement of front cup holders.

Our family's fourth Subaru!
By billshoff

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought our 4th Subaru to use in my work and it never fails me. I use this Forester to pick up and deliver computer equipment to the public schools. It's comfortable (I'm 6' tall) and easy to get in and out of. The back seats fold quickly and the sound system is quite good. It had 56,000 miles when I bought it and so far I've only done routine maintenance. I don't go to the Subaru dealer; he charges way too much ... $35 for an oil change. My independent garage charges $22 for oil change & tire rotation. We also have 3 Outbacks and I have to admit they ride better, but they're harder to get out of. Reliability has been very good.

Seats are ideal! Smooth, quiet drivetrain. Lots of headroom. Generous cargo area. Fun to drive and goes through mud and snow like a tank.

Cheap cup holders. This model has rear drum brakes ... four wheel disc brakes should be standard. Plastic interior parts scratch easily and leave scars. A longer wheelbase would improve the ride, but it's comfortable as is.