Used 2001 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Lemon?
By Christen

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first time owning a Subaru and I was very happy with it until a few weeks ago. It was always very reliable. I have had it in all kinds of conditions from 115 degree Arizona summers to mountains in Colorado to harsh winters in Ohio and never had any major problems besides routine maintenance. I had the head gasket replaced according to the recall a year and 6 months ago. On a recent trip the head gaskets both blew, blowing up the entire engine. Check engine light was on already due to oxygen sensors and had been for 2 days. Called the dealership, there was nothing they could do as the warranty on the head gasket repair had expired 6 mos before. Very costly repair, very disappointing.

Never gotten stuck, handles well in rain/snow, comfortable, love the moonroof

Cup holders, HEAD GASKETS!!!! better customer service woulkd be nice. Subaru has not stood behind their product at all for me.

RT REAR WHEEL BEARING 6TH AND COUNTING
By RIchard Kane

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First right rear bearing went bad 2,000 miles after I purchased the car two years old used. Since then, it has been replaced four more times and now needs another one replaced. Worst part is that the bad wheel bearing causes that tire to wear much more quickly. With AWD all four tires must match. That's a lot of tires. $$$

Subaru ought to solve the wheel bearing issue and recall all Foresters to solve the problem.

160K Trade In becomes my value buy
By Bob

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I observed this car in a driveway with a for sale sign. It was red and looked new. I was surprised when I found out it had 160,000 miles on it and had been left at a local dealer with blown head gaskets. The person selling it bought it from the dealer and had new head gaskets put in. I used to work on cars and I could tell it had been done. The car had a big sunroof and all wheel drive. At $4500 what could I lose? The car also had to have a new windshield put in to pass inspection. Since purchasing the car I've driven it on two long distance drives of 1,000 miles round trip. The gas mileage is excellent and everything works great. The AC is outstanding. A bargain!

AWD, gas mileage, big sunroof, appears reliable. Easy to park, easy to drive. Interior is ok to better than average.

The cup holders could be improved but don't bother me. I use the slide back top on the console for a good cup holder. Other than that I have no complaints.

I love my Subaru!
By dm Rochester, MN

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I am very impressed by the shape that is in after 120k miles. I bought it for the safety ratings and great winter handling. I am planning to drive it another 10 years. Thanks Subaru!

No maintenance beside oil changes, great visibility, cheap ownership.

Cup holder design.

blowin in the wind
By gina

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Not only has my check engine light been on FOREVER, my major complaint is this is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever owned. Wow, the seat is KILLER on my back if I'm in it over an hour. Cup holders are cheap and in the way? What were they thinking? This car blows all over in any kind of wind. Heat is great, gas mileage is less than great. Radio is not great either. So far I'm at 130,000 and I haven't had to put too much work into it, but the comfort factor is zero! Oh my aching back!

awd in Michigan winter was nice, although last year I got stuck twice anyway.

Better seats, this thing throws my back out for weeks after a trip. OUCH! And how about some better gas mileage? I get about 22 on the highway!