Used 2001 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

I love my Subaru
By Andi

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner of my 2001 Subaru Forester. I purchased the car used with about 143,000 miles on it. It's now at 155,000. So far in work I have had to replace a cracked CV boot but that was all that I HAD to do. I opted to replace the head gaskets because they were leaking, but the mechanic told me that it wasn't an immediate need. Eventually I replaced the windshield wiper arms, but it was a quick fix. I live in Northern Michigan and the car starts on - 30F days. It grips the road well when there is lots of snow and ice, as well as in the rain. I would definitely buy another Subaru Forester.

All of the little cubby spaces to stash stuff, the heated cloth seats, and the moonroof.

Need a little help with the cupholders.

Bad Roads
By TFC

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

(90K) Handled very well 2000 miles and very bad dirt rural roads in Laurel Hill Fl. in 04/2009. Only normal and minor things wrong. Front passenger axle assembly, $268, 03/2008. Alternator 11/2008 (rebuilt), $168. Driver door outside door handle,($69 P/L.) Clock, CD Drive (not done). Cold, Rain and moderate off road very good. Rear tire hum tolerable. Full non-towing load performance very good. Still love it. Go anywhere, do anything. Beach, fishing, hiking, bicycling.

Blue exterior. Full non-towing load performance. Fog Lights. Roof Cargo rack.

Better sound system. Better rear area sound deadening.

Keeps on chugging
By Bob

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just went over 190,000 miles. Repairs: Oxygen sensors at 170,000 miles. Cost about 180 including labor. I got the sensors off of E-Bay and had someone local do it. Head gaskets at 154,000 miles. Cost $1200 by local mechanic. Left rear wheel bearing. Cost: $140. Other then that people are surprised when the get in and find out how much mileage it has on it. I changed out the plugs and wires at 175,000 miles. Cost less then $50. I did it myself. In short I guess I have been somewhat lucky. I look forward to taking it to 250,000 miles. Next timing belt change at 220,000. Anticipated cost: $400 at dealer. Popularity in family: very high. It's always on the road.

AWD, Heated windshield, rear defroster, heated mirrors, heated seats.

Better seats.

I love my Forester!!!
By Harry Velez

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester in 2001 and in all this time I have had to replace only the head lamps... only one if I remember correctly. Other than that I have 2 flats. That's it. This car is the best performing vehicle I have ever owned. It runs great. It is comfortable. Its reliability is outstanding. Wish I could buy a new one... but the old one is just going too strong to consider that.

Seat warmers in winter. Amazing all wheel drive. The car "almost" drives better in the rain! LOL.

Stronger cup holders. AUX jack for i-pod. Bluetooth for cell. Better location for clock.

Most Reliable Car I Have Owned!
By Kirk

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Forester for almost nine years and 90,500 miles. There have minimal maintenance issues, it is always reliable and gets respectable mileage on my way to work, about 25.5 mpg. This little SUV is very practical: the liberal hauling capacity is somewhat deceptive as I am frequently surprised over how much the cargo space holds. I have hauled some furniture items and building materials that other people were sure would never fit! We like this little SUV so much that we are considering buying a new Forester. Without a doubt, this has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

The SUV is fun to drive, much more fun than my old Ford Explorer. It easily handles speed humps, corners nicely, and really hugs the road in town and the open highway. My wife and I both found the interior just "fit" us, and that's what finally sold us on the vehicle.

The exterior design is a bit stodgy, looking more like a boxy station wagon than an SUV. There is a rattle in the tailgate that sometimes is a bit annoying, but if that's the worst of my car complaints, then I am truly fortunate. Besides, I can always just turn up the stereo!