Used 2001 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Nice in the beginning
By J Peters

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I spent 8 months trying to find the right car. I thought it was the Forester so I bought a new one. In the beginning it was great but after the 3 year warranty ended, problems began. I have replaced all the tires, all the rotors, both oxygen sensors. The car gets poor gas mileage (about 18 mpg) and I literally watch 1/8 of my gas gauge disappear after I start the car in the morning. I can't get the check engine light to turn off and I feel like every month there is something new to replace. I have 55k miles and I don't abuse the car. I am disappointed with Subaru's 'reliability' and am looking for a different manufacturer to buy from. I think they use cheap parts.

Nice looking interior - doesn't look cheap like many of the new cars with gray plastic molding. Versatile.

Reliability, new cup holder design, higher quality parts.

somewhat disappointed
By m

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester after I had children because of its high safety rating. My previous knowledge of Subarus was that they were reliable. Thankfully, I have not had to find out first hand whether or not it holds up in an accident. However, I have had more than ordinary maintenance headaches. The car now has about 92k miles. Since about 75,000 miles, the check engine light is on almost more than it is off. I have had to replace the alternator, the catalytic converter, have had transmission issues and had a number of minor repairs which add up. My goal is to finish paying it off, and run it into the ground. No more Subarus for me.

Room in the cargo area is great. Very quiet when running. Handles very well in rain and snow.

Get the transmission and electrical systems right. Chintzy cup holders in front and back, as well as shoddy arm rest/storage between front seats.

It's fun when it works...
By C Barrett

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have just received word from my mechanic that my $25k Forrester (admittedly with 140k miles) will not pass inspection due to the stupid engine light being on again. It has been on almost constantly since I purchased the auto on 4/1/00. I have replaced the O2 sensor 3 times in the last 18 months, have had to replace the axle when the tire fell off (the lug nuts just sheared) in dangerous conditions on the West Side Hwy in NYC, and I will probably buy something else very soon. The car was great when it was new, and even up until last year before things started to go wrong. I am hoping that Subaru will stand behind its product, but it hasn't so far. If they do, I will amend this review and let you know.

The pick-up, the A/C, the sound system, the heated seats.

O2 sensors that actually WORK.

Subarus Forever!
By Silversoobiegirl

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a brand new 2004 Impreza in April, 2004. My parents loved mine so much, they decided they wanted a Forester. So, we bought one together! This car is amazing. It does things my Impreza cannot: lugging mountain bikes, skis, large objects, it's GREAT. It handles very well in snowy weather, and is fabulous.

LOTS OF ROOM! Good stereo, excellent handling. I'm 4'10 and the seats/visiblity is awesome (visibility better than my Impreza).

Better fabric on the L. It's scratchy and nasty. Same as everyone else regarding cupholders and vanity mirrors. It needs a compass too. I'd also like to see a "cruise, set" light on the display. Do the new Foresters have that?

Good and bad
By CB-Bothell, WA.

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new. It is an S with Premium package which only comes with an auto transmission. For a small car it is generally quiet, smooth engine, drives well and is fun to drive and returns reasonable gas mileage (I average 23 - 25 mpg). Driving position is very good, seats are good (a bit too hard), storage space very good, very good stereo. Back seat is fair (insufficient leg room) and cup holders poor. First three years were reliable. Since turning 38,000 miles have replaced alternator at 38,612 miles and at 42,271 miles knock sensor failed. Both on my tab. Repair costs are high for this auto. I like my Subaru, it has a lot going for it, but I will not purchase another, due to reliability issues.

Driveability, storage space, ride, quietness, stereo, engine (outside of reliability issues), transmission, AWD, overall dimensions.

Upgrade interior plastics, change cup holder design (done on newer models), keep overall length the same but increase wheelbase. Make it it's own platform. Massive increase in reliability. If boxer engine cannot be made more reliable change to more standard design.