Used 2000 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

After seven years of ownership
By bargain hunter

2000 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this vehicle new in January 2000. For seven years I never had any major problems with this vehicle other than a radiator replacement. In the seventh year everything went on it at once. CV boots, wheel alignment, worn out wheel bearing, engine cylinder gaskets, fuel filter. The vehicle only had 81,000 miles on it when this all happen.

AWD feature and fuel economy; that's it.

For the price they charge they can give you some items like heated seats, leather, remote control.

Another love-hate relationship
By Stacey

2000 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I am in love with my little Forester. It's a fun drive, great on gas, can carry all my stuff with room to spare, and gives me lots of headroom (and I'm pretty tall, too). However, I hate that I have to keep putting money in for repairs. I just did the math and found I've had about $2,300 in major repairs over the last year and a half, including: head gasket, alternator, combination switch, rear wheel bearing, and most recently the catalytic converter. If this keeps up I will have to get another car, which will make me quite sad indeed.

Cargo space, view of the road, headroom and height of the car in general (not too short, not too tall), gas mileage.

I certainly wish the parts in the engine lasted longer (aren't Subarus supposed to be built to last?).

Solid SUV
By ciosavlo

2000 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Not really had any issues with this car. Its got nice pickup and is a blast to drive. Can routinely out drive the bigger v-6's. This Sube is like all the others, solid engine, drivetrain, and external parts. Some rust a bit quick than others, but you can tell some real design went into this car. Drawbacks are the interior. Rear seat is cramped, but hardly every use the rear seat so its worth the trade off. Also, choice of materials inside was weak and has lasted as long as it should.

Solid drive components, handling, fun car to drive.

Interior components, choice of leather or even cloth over some vinyl components.

Few problems...So far
By lgdawley

2000 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Like - plenty of room for my golden retriever and his friends and for carrying furniture, supplies, etc; virtually no blind spots; original brakes lasted to 87,000 miles. Dislike - cup holder location; cheap interior fabric; weak front windshield - had to replace mine the first year; paint that chips easily; had 1 wheel-bearing go - hopefully others won't follow soon. Too noisy driving on the freeway. Other - wish they could be a little more "stylish".

I love how easy this vehicle is to drive and I especially like the clear visual field that minimizes blind spots and enables me to manuever in tight spots. Great turning radius.

Move front cupholders away from air vents and audio components. Upgrade interior materials, especially the cloth and rear cargo area material. Rear area temperature controls should be mandatory. Improve sound abatement for a quieter ride.

Many problems, sold mine
By rhk0328

2000 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

It's really been a nightmare on
problems coming up. I owned the car
until 72,000 miles. I had to replace
5 wheel bearings with no sign of a
fix. I had to replace the
clutch/flywheel/pressure plate around
50k milesfo $1500. Both of these
problems are well documented. Good
news is that the cluch problem is
supposed to be fixed now. That
chattering sound is not normal. Mine
went bad. I got bad support from
subaru for the problems. It's really
been a thorn in my side. My gas
mileage was around 21 mpg. The stock
tires (bridgestones duelers) wear
really poorly. The cheaper brands
work better. The windshield is also
fragile, chipping easily.

Sufficient horses (160Hp). The handling was pretty good.

Wheelbearings, clutch, gas mileage (related to O2 sensor?), tire wear, and customer service.