Used 1999 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

LOVE my Subaru!!
By Pastmaster

1999 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

The Forester has given me no trouble. Beyond oil changes and regular maintenance, I have had a broken rear window (kids and rocks) and one gasket.

This wagon carries a lot of STUFF. We have brought home a refrigerator and a dishwasher in the back. I love all the little nooks and crannies for storage.

Add another cup holder to the front seat space.

Excellent '99 Forester Keeps on Humming
By TNC2005

1999 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car as a family car when moving up north to snow country between the Catskills and Adirondacks. Has always performed to expectations. With the right tires -- the original Yoko Geolanders, or the replacement Goodyear Triple Treads -- it grips exceptionally well, handles nimbly, accelerates smoothly and rapidly. My mechanics say it's got the bones to reach over 300,000 miles. So far, w/ 119K miles, it's on the 4th set of tires and it's only needed regularly scheduled maintenance. Still looks and drives like a new car. Unless some dealer comes out with a similar SUV wagon that gets >33 MPG, this car will be maintained and driven as long as possible -- hopefully 14 more years.

Reliability! Acceleration and handling. Exceptional visibility. All-wheel drive that works well on sand, rocks and gravel, snow, rain and mud. >25 mpg highways, >20 mpg city!

Interior noise w/ highway driving takes getting used to -- like air is rushing in, but all is tight and warm inside. Cup holders are flimsy (redesigned in subsequent models.) Original Geolanders bald in 30 months! (Goodyear TripleTreads seem to be holding up well!). Tinny exhaust heat shields.

High Miles - a real workhorse
By Chuck

1999 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

I put on 324,000 miles on my '99 Forester and finally have a problem with the transmission. Did a valve job about 290,000 miles. Replacement engines were hard to find. Had some more minor problems along the way but taken care of okay. I would like to replace the transmission but they may also not be easy to find or be reasonable enough.

All wheel drive - great in the snow and rain.

LOVE my Forester!
By problemcat13

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I LOVE my Forester! I put 15k miles a year on it, and I drive it hard! 5 speed and the engine pulls great. I had one problem, the headgasket, but it was covered under the service bulletin/warranty to 100k. I currently have 112k miles and this car is great. I really enjoy it. Reliable, fun, but maybe a little small for a family of four. Stereo/tape was lousy, I replaced it with an OEM 6-CD changer from a Subaru WRX for $100. MPG: if I drive hard (wide open throttle) I get 21.4, if I set cruise at the speed limit, 28.4. AWD uses more gas but is a blast to drive spirited! We miss our other Subaru (95 Legacy) and plan to purchase another when we can. I'm so glad I got this vehicle.

Strong engine, reliability, AWD is fun for cornering!

Cup holder doesn't work so well, stronger paint.

Excellent car
By Mike1983

1999 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

The Forester is a very well built car. It's very well designed, inside and out. It runs very smoothly and quietly even with 100k+ miles. Very good sound reduction inside the vehicle. Handles great, feels very solid. Neat gadgets like heated outside mirrors, windshield wipers, and rear quarter windows.

Dozens of storage compartments in every part of the vehicle. All Wheel Drive. High quality all around. Heated leather seats, heated side mirrors, heated windshield wipers, heated rear quarter windows. VERY quiet when driving. I should have bought a Subaru sooner.

A bit more horsepower would be nice, but it has plenty for what it is. Seats can get a bit uncomfortable on long rides. Rear leg room.