Used 1998 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Forester
By Barbara McAleer

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car dependable, excellent in the snow. Low maintenance cost.

Height to get in and out. Great for elderly. Height to load and unload groceries and the many other large items is great!

Better gas mileage, I am currently looking for a environmental friendly vehicle. I thought the B9 looked great but gas mileage stinks. Hurry up, I want to stick with Subaru and not give up the SUV, Prius's are ugly.

A Disappointment
By A Disappointment

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I'm a believer of the safety features after hitting a deer with the Forester at 65 mph on the freeway. I also love the way the Forester handles. But there were a few bugs that I wouldn't have expected given that the Legacy chassis had been out a while. First, the wheel bearings went out at 20K on two wheels. Then the oil seals went at 70K and 140K (just like our 95 Legacy). The head gasket went out at 140K When I complained about a manufacturer defect at 70K because of similar problems with our Legacy, Customer Service said it was coincidence and wouldn't negotiate a better rate on repairs, stating the warranty went out at 60K. If you buy a Subie, you better extend the warranty!

Fix the manufacturer defect on the seals and gaskets.

1998 Subaru Forester S AWD
By T-Bob

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

This has been the best car we have ever owned. We have taken it everywhere - offroad, on beach, long trips, and everyday commutes, and it has never had a problem.

AWD - simply amazing - watching other SUV's sink in the sand on Ocracoke Island beach while I plowed on through was great. Also fantastic in the snow. The heated seats are also great.

Cup holders are a poor design. Factory stereo not great. A second 12V power source in the front would be appreciated.

Not what I expected from Subaru
By Albertlock

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Apparently, Subaru needed to wait a bit longer before turning out the Forester. This was the first year they made them, and the bugs are still present. No way to fix a failing in the AWD; the wheels intermittently lock at low speeds (this was also a problem on the Legacy wagon) - even Sub experts can't fix it. Many other mechanical failings that disrupted trips. I've heard subsequent years are much improved and really wish I'd known more up front, since I've been very happy with past Subarus I've owned.

Interior room & features made this one of our favorite vehicles for functional use. We liked the rubber bumper on the L model so scratches were well hidden.

Seats are uncomfortable for long trips, and a rubberized back of the rear seats for cargo hauling would be helpful. Mechancial issues were the main reason why we canned the car -- spent on average $500/month in maintenance over the final year of owning the car.

1998 Subaru Forester
By ml secrest

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

In 1998 I was looking for something safe, reliable, small, but still enough room for all my stuff. The Forester has met all my expectations. The only problem was keeping the front end in line. Investing in a good set of tires and being careful not to run into curbs has solved the problem.

The Forester just plain looks good. Everything I need fits in it. Small enough to park anywhere. Enough power to drive interstate highways. The 4 wheel drive and low center of gravity keeps the car on the road.

The seats are hard.