Used 2009 smart fortwo Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Ex TDI Volkswagen owner
By MarkyMarkVW

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought this SmartCar on a whim. I've ALWAYS driven Volkswagens..from GLI VR6's to TDI's to Vanagons. I'd NEVER--read NEVER own a VW Again. the cars are ok but the repairs are pricey. I bought this SmartCar as a toy. It's turned into a great car. It will run 80 flat out, get 40mpg, park on the sidewalk and fits on my patio. I love it. Transmission is funky but gets the job done. I DRIVE BIG RIGS...I know size. This car is built. I feel safer in this car than my Freightliner. I'm buying a new one next year. LOVE IT. LOVE IT.

Size, durability, flexibility, parkability, and personality, Cruise control would be nice. More dealers. Or independents.

Diesel. DIESEL. DIESEL.

not so smart
By Beata

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The transmission slipps, only one year warranty,very uneven ride, no handbook for the car, car makes a lot of noise,car is not good on Gas

none

car is not made for American roads. needs work on the electrical stuff.

What do you expect?
By Squuirt

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have heard some complaints that the Smart is slow, or doesn't shift like an automatic. The purpose of the ForTwo and the same reason I bought it was economy, not speed. But it is NO slug! Wind it up and it will go great! 75mph on the freeway is comfortable. Every day I am more impressed with my Smart. Remember, the transmission is a manual that is automated. It shifts exactly how I would expect it to, not an automatic. It takes a little getting used to, but once you understand it, it's fun! I am impressed with the ride for a 1800lb car! I am also 6'1" and have plenty of room! I like the simplicity offering comfort in terms of reliability and longevity. I purchased as a commuter, perfect!

The Smart makes everyone smile, and I mean everyone. It is EASY to drive anywhere! Confident handling and loads of safety features make me feel secure. I like the ride with the rear engine, balanced. It is much quieter and solid then I expected too. Don't buy one if you don't like attention. FUN!

A CVT or proper automatic would make the Smart more acceptable for people that have trouble understanding the purpose or design of the automated- manual. If a turbodiesel model was available, I would have two, and a roadster, I would have three! Cruise, so I didn't have to go to SmartMadness to get.

We own 2!
By Rayline

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

We ordered one, got an "orphan" 2 days after they came out in Jan 2008. Loved it so much that we kept the one that we ordered also. Drove them both from TX to CA and had no problems with hills, dust storms, rain or gas. Could drive to one pump, fit and fill both with one bill! Can travel easily at 80-85 mph and have had it to 93. Can park anywhere. Problems with speed or hills are the driver-not the car. Great gas mileage, and great safety features. Also love the heated seats. Have taken it to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and love it in traffic. It's a blast!

Interior color, heated seats, speed, handling, interior space, a/c, just about everything!

Longer visor, a/c outlets focus downward more, signal inside to tell which side gas cap is on (I'm forgetful)

Good things come in small packages!
By Mona

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Anaylze the situation: 3 cylinders, 5ft. x 8ft., 2 seats...O.K...now continue: This is the best thing since the telephone!!! The reviews that say no power, or no room, or whatever...GO buy a GAS burning, giant SUV and SHUT UP! This little cutie-pie is great for what you get! I have power steering, leather heated seats, remote keyless entry, alarm, etc. Some of the bigger/money cars don't come with that. Sold by Mercedes Benz, how civilized is that. I drive a Harley Road Glide, as well, and both are a blast! How dare those people to complain! The turning radius and parking ablity cannot be touched by GAS gusslers! Oh, and for the size, it is the safest by far!!

Knowing that I am surrounded by the Tridion Safety cell (like a NASCAR cage). Does ANY other two seater have that? (Corvette, Miata, Mini Cooper,etc) My A/C runs COLD, even in Houston. Plus, My first long trip I finally stopped for gas with almost 400 miles. After calculating: 48mpg (not bad!)

The A/C vents do need to point downward more. (Needs to blow on your torso, not in your eyes). But for the price, you get a great little car that makes you smile and definitely saves gas!!! Maybe make one of the new colors GREEN...because "smart" is earth-aware.