Used 2009 smart fortwo Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Can't Compare - MORE FUN than Disneyland
By DP of Palmdale

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The dealer went over every page in manual and every detail with me. Disregard reviewer that says it doesn't come with a manual. Transmission is very fun, but like no other - if you try to drive this car like any other car you will either hate it or become frustrated - key is to understand this car is special, but it is very reliable!! I commute 45 miles each way to work, driving through the Angeles Forest Highway - a two lane highway that has many hills and curves. I average 37-38 MPG driving in automatic mode without using the paddles. What I LOVE most - how it waits patiently in the parking lot for me to take it home at the end of each day, makes me giggle every time!

I love how it shifts. It is actually a manual transmission with no clutch pedal - but, it has a automatic shifter so my head bobs like I am shifting a stick but my hands don't leave the wheel. It get so many looks on every drive and makes others laugh and smile and me, too. It's really fun !

The radio needs to be upgraded to show more info about the station and song you're are listening to because it has plenty of room on the LCD screen. Also, it needs to have a handle mounted above the passenger door - many folks think they need to hold on, so they don't bump the driver on curves.

Most fun car ever, take it everywhere
By tcfrank

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This car is solid, fun to drive and great in the snow - with engine over the driven wheels and traction control. It's so much fun to drive that I have sold my BMW motorcycle in favor of this car. My wife and I take the car everywhere and can ALWAYS find a parking spot that nobody else can get in! The transmission in full auto mode does take a little getting used to, but the paddle shifters are available to give you what you want when you want it if you don't like the auto shift program.

See through roof, very easy getting in and out, tall seating position -- nearly as tall as an SUV, great visibility, light tossable feel, solid chassis and body feel; tremendous fuel economy, my wife and I have been averaging 45 MPG.

Quicker responding auto shift program

Great City Commuter Car
By Juniorswa

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Have owned this car for a little while now and I have to say I love it! I'm averaging 35 mpg using automatic mode and a/c in city traffic. Insurance rates are low and the smart gets a lot of attention. The interior is very roomy and comfortable. Inside it feels like any other car. My last car was a Mazda Miata, so the interior is very comfortable and the ride is very quiet to me. The hatchback trunk is also really great! I too was initially afraid when I first purchased my smart, but this car really grows on you quickly. This is my first European car as I have only owned Japanese brands until now: Mazda, Toyota, and Honda. The Mercedes-Benz service at the dealer has been fantastic!

Panoramic roof, outside temperature gauge, gas mileage, able to change color of car easily, safety features, alloy wheels, interior design, iPod hook up, easy to park, automatic air conditioning, hatchback/tailgate, paddle shifters, strong bright headlights, leather steering wheel and shift knob.

Diesel engine option, cruise control, center arm rest (should be standard), tilt steering wheel, seat height adjustment, other leather color options besides black (red or beige perhaps?). Bose sound system option! (My old car had this and it's the one thing I REALLY miss!)

More attention than a cute puppy
By Craig

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This car is great. I just bought it and the transmission must be shifted by hand. In the automatic mode feels sluggish. But I never have bought an automatic in my life. I have ridden a motorcycle my for most of my life and driven everything including tractor trailers. The entire roll cage cabin makes you feel safer than a NASCAR. When gas hits 5 bucks a gallon (and it will) the salesmen will have to hold buyers off with a whip and a chair. Forget those stupid electric cars for now. They are 10 years away. We plan a country wide, east of the Mississippi trip this summer. I will write a Smart car blog...warts and all.:>)

Can park this thing anywhere.

A true standard would be nice.

Ex TDI Volkswagen owner
By MarkyMarkVW

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought this SmartCar on a whim. I've ALWAYS driven Volkswagens..from GLI VR6's to TDI's to Vanagons. I'd NEVER--read NEVER own a VW Again. the cars are ok but the repairs are pricey. I bought this SmartCar as a toy. It's turned into a great car. It will run 80 flat out, get 40mpg, park on the sidewalk and fits on my patio. I love it. Transmission is funky but gets the job done. I DRIVE BIG RIGS...I know size. This car is built. I feel safer in this car than my Freightliner. I'm buying a new one next year. LOVE IT. LOVE IT.

Size, durability, flexibility, parkability, and personality, Cruise control would be nice. More dealers. Or independents.

Diesel. DIESEL. DIESEL.