Used 2009 smart fortwo Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

2 year old smart passion
By mech_pe

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Best car I have owned for commuting to work.
Fun to drive like a go-cart. My wife loves to drive it on the weekend. Roomy with upright seating like a pickup. Flying rocks will not dent the car. 10,000 miles between oil changes. Gas mileage consistant 42 mpg in Minneapolis. Worst was 38 mpg in the deep slushy snow plus warming up in driveway. My commute is freeway at 80mph to downtown congestion at 60 miles per day. Easy to park and manuever. Some states allow straight into the curb (no parrallel) and sharing of parking spaces with a motorcycle or two smart cars. Plastic panels resist rust and you can change the car's color in about 4 hours. Very tough little car with good acceleration.

Fun to drive. Plastic changable body panels all around. Cheap on gas!!!! CONSISTANT 42 mpg. 320 miles at 7.5 gal. (Not like my friends with their hybrids that get 49 in the city but 26 on the highway.) Comfortable seating, easy access. Will not spin out on ice. Enough space to haul groceries and some 8 foot 2X4 boards. When stopped on a hill and you release the brake, it stays on for 1 second while you put your foot on the accelerator. It won't roll backwards. Cheap annual tune-ups. Great workhorse.

Transmission shifts like someone driving a manual. Takes about two weeks to not feel it. Rough ride compared to a luxury car. Similar to a truck or motorcycle. High crosswinds may bother you, unless you have flown an airplane; then it is just fun. Like bad weather is for most guys! Only room for two. You'll need another car for the family or a truck to haul with.

Great CITY car
By BRokicki

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just bought a 4 month old 2009 with 1500 miles for a MB dealership that used it as a loaner car. After driving 5 hours back home I was impressed, this little guy keeps up with traffic just fine, cross winds at highway speeds (75 mph) are not fun, so slow down over bridges. I bought the car mainly for parking in NYC. I can fit it every where! My Smart doesn't have power steering, it's fine for me but you do have to put a bit of muscle into it when parking in a small spot, once the car is moving, there is no difference. It has 2K miles and there are already some rattles, not good! Only buy this car if you live in a congested area, or you only want 1 passenger!

Parking, pano roof, mpg, it has much more cargo room than you think! It's so much fun driving in the city.

No spare tire! The transmission should be a real 5spd or a real automatic, it takes some getting used to. Passenger side should have grab handles.

Smart all around
By Bruno the Smart

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love my Smart Passion. I traded my BMW 5 series in for a Smart car friends and family all called me crazy but I turned 18 and had to start paying for things on my own. This is my only car and I do a lot of driving City, Highway and suburbs daily. I love my Smart and love driving it. I do wish it did a little better on gas but compared to the BMW it rocks. Having a two seater really is not a big deal and there is plenty of storage space. The car handles great and parking is never a problem. I love all the looks and comments I get and I love the design of the car. Overall I would recommend it to any one!

MP3 jack, Huge Moon Roof, great handling, Fun to drive.

Better MPG

Best Car I have ever owned!
By Dave

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought the Smart Car fortwo a year ago. I love it. Easy on gas and drives great. I wished I would have got AC added. Other than that, it's a great little car!

Style, color you can't beat it. Quality workmanship over all is an A+.

The battery is hard to get to. It's under the floor board on the passenger side. Make it easier to get to.

New Smart Car
By Ron Valkenburg

2009 smart fortwo Hatchback passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just purchased my Smart car yesterday, so far I love it. I traded in my 2004 Toyota Prius with 190,000 miles. I loved the 2010 Prius but could not see spending $32k for a new one. After looking around, the Smart car was my answer, similar mileage as my Prius. I have to get used to some changes like no integrated GPS or Bluetooth but there are other options for that. So far I am loving my Smart, tomorrow will be my first highway commute and I am looking forward to it.

See through roof, simple maintenance, body panel replacement options, paddle shifters, overall style of the car.

Cruise control, heads-up display, integrated NAV not a 3rd party install.