Used 2009 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 smart fortwo

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

WORLDS FINEST GO CART WITH AC AND AIR BAGS
By brabus4two

2009 smart fortwo BRABUS cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I picked it up in Vegas in 2012 with only 6100mi. and went straight to the strip that evening with the top down and the Biggest Smile on my face! This Brabus stole the show from the worlds finest automobiles as everyone was looking and pointing! This car satisfies my desire for a car, a motorcycle, and a Go Cart...The transmission is "different" relax and let it do it's job while you do yours Smiling...Want to go faster then use the paddle shifter!
And those who say AC is weak need Freon, it was 113 and I had to turn it down and windows are not tinted! After a year I still haven't hit 7,000mi yet...I love the car so much I can't bare to put miles on it...So I treat myself now and then

BRABUS LONGTERM UPDATE:

Well I gave up trying to keep the miles low cause I love to drive the car so much!

I've had Absolutely ZERO Problems in the last 57,500mi, all I've done is Mobile One 15W50 every 10k, and a set of tires.

At 50,000 I started began doing Mobile One Oil Changes every 7,500mi

My wife TO THIS DAY will not admit she likes driving it! But she's always behind the wheel for some reason??? She and my 82yr old Mom always come flying down the drive like they are in a Nascar race!

And that works for me as it keeps the miles off, and holds the value of our ML350 Bluetec...

Our favorite use for "Smarty" is driving her into our 45' 5th Wheel RV Garage and using her like a golf cart when we arrive at the campgrounds!

We're always the ONLY "Golf Cart" with AC, and the only one that can "Legally" leave the campgrounds and drive on the main roads!

Will never sell or trade as the New Body Style Smart is Larger and in my opinion not as cute...

Lastly, I wouldn't like it nearly as much or own it at all if it were not a convertible...

There's nothing like crusing on a nice evening with the top down!

It gets a pretty consistent 38mpg running 70mph. Never put anything less than 93 Octane or you will be Sorry!

What a great little car
By sampbris

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have owned many many vehicles in my 62 years and this is the first car ever that I have kept for over two years. I have enjoyed my smart for almost 4 years now. I have never had a problem with the car. When I bought it I had a Mercedes ML550 and a Toyota truck...I soon found that I didn't enjoy driving either one of those anymore (especially the "repair hungry" Mercedes) and I sold them....the smart has been my only vehicle since and the car has remained solid, reliable, economical and fun. Everyone wants to know about it and you can never get gas without ending up in a conversation about it.
The outer finish never gets nicks or stone chips and looks as good as the day I bought it.

2 year old smart passion
By mech_pe

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Best car I have owned for commuting to work.
Fun to drive like a go-cart. My wife loves to drive it on the weekend. Roomy with upright seating like a pickup. Flying rocks will not dent the car. 10,000 miles between oil changes. Gas mileage consistant 42 mpg in Minneapolis. Worst was 38 mpg in the deep slushy snow plus warming up in driveway. My commute is freeway at 80mph to downtown congestion at 60 miles per day. Easy to park and manuever. Some states allow straight into the curb (no parrallel) and sharing of parking spaces with a motorcycle or two smart cars. Plastic panels resist rust and you can change the car's color in about 4 hours. Very tough little car with good acceleration.

Fun to drive. Plastic changable body panels all around. Cheap on gas!!!! CONSISTANT 42 mpg. 320 miles at 7.5 gal. (Not like my friends with their hybrids that get 49 in the city but 26 on the highway.) Comfortable seating, easy access. Will not spin out on ice. Enough space to haul groceries and some 8 foot 2X4 boards. When stopped on a hill and you release the brake, it stays on for 1 second while you put your foot on the accelerator. It won't roll backwards. Cheap annual tune-ups. Great workhorse.

Transmission shifts like someone driving a manual. Takes about two weeks to not feel it. Rough ride compared to a luxury car. Similar to a truck or motorcycle. High crosswinds may bother you, unless you have flown an airplane; then it is just fun. Like bad weather is for most guys! Only room for two. You'll need another car for the family or a truck to haul with.

BB!
By leeleeph

2009 smart fortwo passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just got this car a few days ago & it was used, with 20,000 miles on it already.It still looks brand new though and works like a charm! I have heated seats with black leather interior and my smart car is yellow with black panels.I absolutely love it! I couldn't think of any other car to satisfy my every need on the road.I have yet to drive it on the highway, but i'm sure that day will come sometime soon! I recommend this car to EVERYONE.Unless driving small, cool, and fun just isn't your style.This car is for someone who isn't much of a business person.But It is overall and amazing car.I'm glad i purchased it.

The heated seats, The convertible top, The leather, that is a nice and fit interior design, Stereo setting with 6 disc change, The hatch back, The exterior design, Almost everything!

The only improvement I would say they could make is the gear shift when the car is in automatic mode.It is kind of jerky at first when you drive it but i can say after a while with this car, you get used to that feel and it really doesn't bother you at all.

Honest Car
By Greg

2009 smart fortwo passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I own a red and black '09 Cabriolet with nearly 30,000 miles on the engine. Overall, I like the car very much. It is an honest car; honest in what it is designed to do and honest in its appeal to drivers who want sensible fun. Granted, it is not a fast car and I usually take my time to get up to highway speed. That being said, most of the lag is in the transmission so once in 5th gear the car easily dominates in traffic. The ride is stiff, not unlike a MINI Cooper and handling is crisp with perhaps a hint of its weight in the steering. The interior is brightly decorated but feels cheap for its price class. Even so, the car is very sturdy on the road, the important parts being solid as rocks.

I love its diminutive size. This is perhaps the biggest appeal of these cars. The way in which they are manufactured messages my sense of efficiency and environmental stewardship. The convertable top and heated leather seats are the best features. Really, don't buy one unless you get the Cabriolet.

The engine needs another 30 hp standard. Fuel economy is mediocre for what you have to sacrifice in comfort and ride quality. Honestly, I wonder if it wouldn't benefit from a small 4- cylinder in terms of pickup and economy. The transmission is too slow! Watch out Mercedes, Toyota is on your tail.