2008 Smart Fortwo: Five Reasons To Buy
July 14, 2008
Everything you've read in the blog posts so far is true. This car has issues. But having driven our Fortwo around for the past few days, I can see why somebody would still want to own one. Here's why:
1) It's cute. When it comes to car-buying, this isn't a factor to be ignored. Remember how popular the VW New Beetle was when it first came out?
2) It's efficient. Yes, you'd hope it'd do better. But it still gets 33 mpg city and 41 mpg highway, which is better than just about every other car out there.
3) It's inexpensive. Yes, the value equation is pretty poor for a Smart Fortwo. But a base Passion coupe like ours lists at $13,590. That's not a whole lot of cash for a new car.
4) It draws lots of attention. I've had more people come up to me in this car asking questions than anything else in recent memory. People notice Ferraris and such, but there's an aura of elitism that keeps them away. Because of reasons one through three, people feel comfortable talking to you. Guys want to know about it. Girls smile at you.
5) It can be fun. This is mostly a combination of all the elements above. A Corolla is a better car, but buying a car is rarely just about functionality.
Brent Romans, Senior Automotive Editor @ 7,073 miles