Used 2008 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews - 185 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 smart fortwo

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

horn & door problems lies on extended warranty
By kulumao

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love my 2008 Smart passiion. I have less than 12000 miles on it. The first time i had to use the horn, it does not work, the plastic part on the door hinge is missing.
I bought a platinum ext warranty at the time and was told it covered bumper to bumper for 5 years. Now they told me the horn problem is not covered and the door hinge missing part is not covered either. what a rip off, never buy any ext warranty from mercedes benz again. I won't touch any MB either, Lexus gave much better service and had no problems.

I hate this car so much...
By foxmajik

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I've had to take this car in for work more than my used '92 Mazda Protege. For various reasons, from plastic pieces falling off the interior to the air dam in the front snapping off and dragging on the freeway. The gas mileage is atrocious for a car this small (around 25 mpg). The transmission is a confused and nervous little curmudgeon that can't decide what gear it wants to be in when you're under 15 mph and keeps jumping back and forth between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. Every time the gear shifts the car lurches back and lunges forward like I've slammed on the brakes. And this is normal for smart cars, every one I've been in does it, even after having the transmission firmware upgraded.

The heated seats are nice.

There's really no fixing this car, it's been scrapped and redesigned several times and they still haven't gotten it right. Driving this car is like driving one of those little plastic ride-ons they sold at Wal-mart when I was a kid. The build quality is seriously disappointing. The transmission is a joke. This is the only car I've ever driven where I've had to take it to the dealership several times because parts kept falling off. The air conditioner wheezes and puffs and can barely keep the tiny cabin cool when cranked to the max.

2008 Piece of Junk
By dispshannon

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I purchased this vehicle new and within 1 year was having trouble with the transmission ...Wont go into reverse.
Dealership says nothing wrong.
1 year later..NO WARRANTY and now it wont go into reverse or forward.
How do you drive a car that wont do forward or reverse..YOU DONT...

Parking is easy..Can go anywhere when it will.

Replace ALL TRANSMISSIONS

Don't buy a 2008 dealer buyback = LEMON
By Cindy

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Really disappointed with this car. Yes it's fun to drive, great to put the top down, and yes its cute- however when I went to trade it in- it turns out that a dealer buy back = LEMON in the car world. Thus- hideous trade in value. Shame on you Annapolis Smart- Mercedes. Buy back = Lemon- run don't walk from the 2008- check the title history, if you see dealer buy back look elsewhere unless you plan on keeping it forever.

Ideal Key West Car!
By Tom Lavender

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have a very early 2008 Passion Cabrio. Really enjoy the car, but it's 150 miles to the dealer. Have had many driveability problems. It took Smart 2 1/2 years to figure what the backup problem was. I had cruise control installed, the dealer blamed the backup problem on the cruise. I had the cruise uninstalled still had the problem. I truly love the car but just don't understand Smarts logic as to marketing and service. I'm out of warranty and ready to trade cars Smart Weston acts like they don't want my car back. It is a wonderful car, would be even better if the dealer wasn't 150 miles away. They need better warranty and better service centers.

Size, easy parking, gas mileage is ok could be better for a car this size. Really fun to drive! Love the ability to put the top down or up while I'm driving.

Better dealer network, Information available to independent service shops. CRUISE CONTROL that is factory installed. Better designed Air Conditioning, you can't cool it down in south Florida with the current design. Redesign the transmission for a smoother shift, current one is very jerky!