Used 2008 Scion xD Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Scion xD

View reviews for a specific xD model:

Six months later.
By Pleased Consumer

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the xD in March 2008, and have six months experience driving it. Fuel economy has been a steady 34 mpg, calculated. I have had only one incident where the Vehicle Stabilization Control system automatically worked its magic. It was during a highway run, climbing a hill during a rainstorm when traction was especially bad. The system kicked in at a time when I was unaware that I was losing traction. I maintained control with its aid, slowed down,and carried on with my trip all smoothly, safely done. This VSC is a worthwhile feature. One slight but nagging shortfall in the design of this car is the FEEL of the brakes-- they operate well, but are vague in their feel.

The features themselves, their number and convenience. This is a nice package for the price, a wonderful small car. I like its homely looks, too.

Improve the FEEL of the brakes, Toyota. They need not actuate abruptly, just not so tentatively when first applied. This is the only area where my previous car excelled this one-- brake feel feedback.

Perfection.
By MaxM

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When I was first looking at cars to buy I was trying to find an SUV. I wanted a vehicle that I could put stuff in the back of (home depot trips, etc.). Unfortunately, gas shot up to like $4 a gallon that day so I got rid of the SUV idea. After a lot of researching and reviewing, i went with the xD for its gas mileage, fold- down back seats (my friend and I can finagle our mountain bikes in there and trips to home depot are no problem), a low price tag, and the Toyota built engine. I've had the car about 6 months now and i couldn't be happier. It's definitely got some pep to it when you hit the gas, too. Good for light stuff, just don't expect to do any heavy hauling.

Fold-down back seats, gas mileage, reliable, ballsy for a small car, lots of cup holders!, and lots of options to customize it when you buy it and a hell of a lot of aftermarket parts. Oh and it's got a good amount of space: I'm 6', 245 lbs and I feel really comfortable driving it.

It'd be nice to squeeze a little more MPG out of it. If i take it easy for a week I'll get 33 mpg; if i really hammer it, 26 mpg; on average, 29 mpg.

Scion xD Good Choice
By wendy

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Overall I am completely satisfied with my Scion xD. I purchased a 2008 xD in May 2008 because I commute 140 miles round trip. The xD has all the air bags, ABS and cruise control standard unlike some other small cars I looked at (Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit). My commute is half open freeway and half stop and go freeway. My fuel efficiency averages 35 MPG during the summer with the AC on all the time. I expect it to go up in the fall and winter. The xD is comfortable although the seats could be a little cushier. I think the gauges are well placed. Not having an arm rest doesn't bother me. Main drawback is blocking the sun from the door window. The sun visor doesn't have an extension.

Odometer features, average MPG and miles left on this tank of gas are my favorites Stereo controls on steering wheel cruise control lots of cup holders and storage cubbies Good air flow vents

Sun visor extension to block sun completely from door window

Fun car but fuel eco. not what expected
By jpowell

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This was my wife's first new car. We bought it because of the look, the navigation system, but mostly because of the "expected" great fuel economy. I don't have much to say about the design besides that there should be an arm rest and it is crazy that the nav system doesn't allow you to use some of the options when the car is moving. The only real disappointment is the gas mileage. I read many reviews that stated 30+ and much more on trips. We have never seen anything better than 26-27/gallon city or highway or some combination. I know it's not way off, but I was planning to see better than what we are getting.

Navigation system, rims, pick up

Stop treating owners like irresponsible babies by not letting us use parts of the nav system while the car is moving.

notthing better in this price
By Doidao1013

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I can not got anything better for the price, scion is the best I really enjoy drive this car every day!

VSC, ABS, EBD,EB, scion has everything, also I add the NV system so now I have everything

Does need improvements, for that this price can get anything better than scion.