Used 2008 Scion xD Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Scion xD Hatchback

View reviews for a specific xD model:

I love this car
By Reesfun

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Such a great little car...especially for the price. The gas mileage is fantastic. After 5K miles I have consistently averaged 36+ MPG with combined in city hwy/street driving. Highway mileage alone has come in as high as 42MPG. This car is fun, easy to drive-turn-park and fits me perfectly. My hubby 6' 3" hubby purchased an XB and I fell in love with it with one exception...it's just TOO big inside. I found myself having to reach too far for everything. But the XD has everything at perfect arms length. And the clutch is light and the manual trani is easy to shift. The only negative is that at 5K it has more "little noises" than I would have expected from a Toyota product.

Gas mileage, Ipod plug in & overall looks.

Work with chain stores for parts etc. Couldn't get my oil changed until after the chain store ordered the right oil filter.

Best car choice for its class!
By MichelleS

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this little gem after having driven a '99 Windstar for almost 10 years. It took a little getting used to the change in size, but overall, this has been a great choice in vehicle! I mostly drive in town, but occasionally get on the highway. I find I get decent mileage in town and excellent mileage on the open road. The car defies the laws of physics. It is very comfortable for even large people and can hold a LOT more cargo than it looks. I love how I can whip in and out of parking spots easily, or slip into the next lane of traffic without cutting off the guy behind me. Overall, it's been a great car to drive and the money I save on gasoline is a dream!

I just got the standard stereo w/the ipod jack and it's been great. Plenty of cup holders, and I love how the back seats slide forward and recline, which makes installing a child car seat easy.

Armrest for the driver's seat on the right would be good. Since there is an ipod jack, a dedicated spot for it (other than a cup holder) would be great. A sunroof would be a fun option!

Car & Driver
By Ancron

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Having been driving a 1995 Honda Civic CX Hatchback for the last 10 Years, this was definitely different! After studying Hondas and Toyotas I had it in my mind to either buy a Corola or a Civic (Both have exceptional Engines that last for quite a long time!). Determined to go to the Honda dealership and the Toyota dealership before I actually buy. My first stop was at the Toyota dealership. After the salesman showed me a few corolas on sale then he showed me a Scion XD. Having no idea about Scions (At the time I didn't know they were toyotas, I just thought they were another cheap brand), he explained in detail about the scion brand. After test driving the Scion and Corola, I bought the XD.

Love the Hatch back and room, my Honda was a hatchback and I actually marveled on how much stuff I could actually haul in it! Good handling and good enough power for a car that gets about 30+ MPG. Love all the extras (Power locks, windows, AC, etc), remember, my last car had manual everything!

The tinting is just right, didn't buy the car to go 180 MPH. Might possibly get some rims at a later time. Lucky my car came with the optional rear spoiler, floor mats, upgraded stereo.

BEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP
By Joe Mahma

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it for a while and I'd have to say, it's a great cheap car. I just took a trip and managed 42 mpg on the highway while around town I'm getting about 32 mpg. It has some power if you get on it but the manual transmission is awful. The Interior is awesome as well as the body design, and people are always checking it out on the street.

Overall design. Seating is super-comfortable on long trips (for me). I'm 5' 11" and about 180 lbs and it fits me perfectly. Also, the room for cargo is very good. I can pack stuff into this.

Manual transmission needs to be better. Shifting is clunky. I stall out from a dead stop at least 2 or 3 times a day. Either the flywheel needs to be larger, or it needs more torque.

Surprisingly fun and inexpensive car
By Carl

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this guy a couple of months ago as an all-around hauler. I drive about 75 miles a day for work, was looking for practicality and fun. Also use on weekends for trips to see our daughter at college, etc. Very pleased with the xD. Lowered with TRD springs from dealer, rear spoiler, bumper protector. Have not used for overnight trip, but hauls four adults with ease (we are all short) and occasionally five for trips around town. Looked also at the Honda Fit, also nice, but glad I chose the xD. 33-36 miles per gallon (measured at fill-ups), 35-39 average on readout. Ride (w/TRD springs) is firm but comfortable. Co-worker has an xD also and has had good experience, highly recommended!

Came with everything needed, power windows, door locks, cruise. Great features and handling for 'economy car.'

Fog/driving lights from dealer? Nothing else that I can think of...