Used 2008 Scion xD Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Scion xD

View reviews for a specific xD model:

Great Buy - Great Fuel Ecomony
By Tim from Nebraska

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Have had my xD for about 18 months (33,000 miles) and love it. Depending upon how you drive, you'll meet or beat EPA. I drive on the slow side and have gotten 45 mpg highway more than a few times (yes 45!) even with family of 4 in the car. In summer, I regularly get 34-36 with mixed driving. The car is fun to drive and comfy for me (I'm only 5' 5" though). First car I ever bought new. No problems in 18 months. Tires still in good shape too. We test drove every car in this class (Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Kia Rio, Hyndai Accent, etc..) and felt that this was the best buy and ride for the money. Standard features can't be best. Highly recommend!

IPod and Aux interfaces - work great! Onboard mileage computer. Seats in back lay down flat for nice big cargo area. Radio controls on steering wheel (standard). Standard side curtain air bags. Traction control (optional). Standard stereo is great!

Rear window minimizes view. When rear headrests are left up, it blocks view of rear window. Bluetooth (available in 2009 model). Ability to calibrate avg mpg in onboard computer (mine is always 3 mpg higher than reality). Middle seatbelt in back is a bit of a pain, but rarely use it.

I did the research. One year later...
By Jesse

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After a lot of research and test drives, one year later I still stand by my purchase: It has the most features & style for the price. I drove this car cross-country packed with all of my valuables. The Honda Fit would not have had the power to merge with semis in the Colorado mountains at 75 mph while getting 40+ avg mpg. Thank the xD's Toyota 2ZR-FE Dual VVT-i 128hp engine. I bought this car to drive in LA, so the active head restraints, sideview mirror signals & the airbags for myself AND rear passengers were a major selling point. My friends love the interior design, stereo & comfortable seats too. Compared: Honda Fit Sport & Civic, Toyota Yaris Hatch & Sedan, Mini Cooper

Interior Design, Fuel Economy, Comfort, Safety, iPod Integration, Value

Paint Quality

Love my first Auto Car
By Bonrek

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Scion XD for 7 months now and I love it. It is my first new and auto transmission. I live in the DC/Baltimore area and this car make commuting easy and comfortable. Fast pick up allows for easier merging onto highways. I had been looking into purchasing the XA, but am very happy I waited for the XD. It practically parks itself. After spending 9 years driving nothing but Manual, I am still getting used the the auto transmission. It is a wonderful car for those that love to save on gas mileage.

Gas economy, Ipod or other MP3 (Aux) hookup, leg room (I'm very short), radio controls on steering wheel, all the air bags and pick up.

Head rest has got to go (very uncomfortable), ability to raise seat would be nice (I'm short, can't see over steering wheel), the small tiny window with the huge divider makes for a terrible blind spot.

It's OK, but Caution Advised...
By Katie

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Price was OK, but I might not buy it again. Screw went into tire sidewall in July 08, but no tire dealer had the odd ball size--took a week to order. Radio doesn't receive my favorite stations (90 Nissan did perfectly). Owners manual says to use only 0w-20 oil (or 5w-20), but Castrol won't sell it to consumers; my favorite auto shop doesn't buy it in bulk. Very noisy ride--so much so that dog doesn't like it. Doors seem to lock mysteriously, with no door key/lock on passenger side--have to go around. Dash gauges can be seen only by pushing button--not safe to do while driving--odometer should always be visible.

Estimated mpg matches sticker or better, and on highway, sometimes get 36 mpg. Seats fold flat--so did Honda Fit, my first choice, but the Fit did not come in white (deal breaker).

Provide better quality radio, standard tire sizes, diagram of oil drain plug (+ oil filter location) in owners manual. Larger gas tank. More "viewing" area in the rear--better than the Prius, but new cars are dangerous with such diminished visibility.

Fun car
By Janet

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my car for almost a year now and I still have fun driving it. Lot's of room, awesome gas mileage handles great. I love it!

The gas mileage and the handling very sweet.

Just one little thing no lights in both glove compartment other then that it's all good oh yeah and an arm rest would be nice too.