Used 2008 Scion xD Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Scion xD Hatchback

View reviews for a specific xD model:

How does 46 mpg sound?
By Tim

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

If you're looking to save gas - look no further. I've had this car since last October. Overall mileage is in the mid 30's. Three recent trips at 55 mph on highway netted 46 mpg. (that's true mpg - not computer) One was with 4 people in the car. Going to & from work (mix of highway and city) has been about 37 mpg. I test drove everything in this type (Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Kia Rio 5, etc...), felt this was easily the best of hte bunch. Can't understand Consumer Report's love affair with the Honda Fit - rode like a 70's Ford Pinto. We recently took a trip to Branson with our family of 4 and did well - a little tight for luggage but it worked. Really love this car!

Aux jack for MP3. Ipod connectivity. Onboard computer. Ability to lay the seats flat for big cargo area. Good front seat storage. Sits higher off the ground that other cars of this style. Ipod connector & cord for aux input jack included. Side curtain airbags! Stereo controls on steering wheel

Car has a larger blind spot than other cars I've owned. Mud flaps are not available nor is center armrest. Back seat head rests tend to block drivers view. My trip computer's avg mpg is always 3 mpg off. Slightly deeper cup holders (front only). These are small changes - car is great as is!

I love my Scion XD
By lovemyxd

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

When I sat down to test drive this car, I immediately knew it was the one. It's cute yet bold looking--and super fun to drive.

For a relatively inexpensive car, I am glad to know that features like ABS, side curtain airbags, and cruise control are standard. I also love the way the headrests for the back seats can be pushed down for a very polished look. Also, cup holders abound in this car... and the sound system is excellent

Can't think of any... I am super satisfied

My herbie loaded
By Stephanie

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was in the market for a Toyota Prius, but was not going to pay 30,000 as price due to demand. I drove the Prius and found it to awkward and had no extras at this price. My husband use to drive an Scion XA so I looked at the only one left on the lot and found it to be exactly what I wanted, good fuel economy, fun to drive, and lots of extras, and affordable. I would highly recommend this car with todays climbing gas prices. My 12 yr old son claim it to be his when he turns 16, so it must be hip.

gas mileage, mpg gauge, size, handling

driver's armrest, sunroof

Best auto move ever
By chad Reznicek

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Traded in a 2004 4 runner due to fuel costs. Looked at the matrix but couldn't figure out what we were actually getting for the cost. My wife test drove both and loved the Xd. The test drive combined with all the standard options and the price of the Xd made it a no brainer for us over the matrix. We enjoy driving it, its no sports car but the power to MPG factor is better than expected. At 6 feet tall, I find it just a bit short on leg room but overall very comfortable. The bottom line is that for a great price we have a highly fuel efficient vehicle that looks good, is fun to drive, and loaded with creature comforts. Hated to give up the 4 runner but love what we got in return.

Price-feeling like we really got something for the money. MPG-- we can get 34 or better with the AC on and at top interstate speeds. The standard features including good stereo, MPG and other displays, 5 speed manual, cruise, etc. Finally, given all this, it just feels good to drive it.

My only regret is the limited cargo room, its an easy sacrifice all things considered, but if the rear cargo area could be extended out just another foot it would be more practical for things like strollers and luggage. We will adapt, however, and pack light so that we can use it for long trips.

Nice little car
By GregSurratt

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After test driving the Yaris and Honda Fit, the peppy engine, higher seating, amazing standard safety features and overall appearance sold me on the xD. My only real complaint is the road noise, but that's of pretty minor importance to me. It's a tight little, precise ride and the manufacturing tolerances are really impressive. Everything feels like quality on the Scion, unlike with the Ford Focus that it's replacing. I also love the firmness of the seats. The toggle feature on the l.e.d. odometer which allows you to see your mpg at any current moment is really nifty (although I'm a little suspicious of the accuracy of such a device). At any rate, this is an exciting little car.

The high seats, extra peppy engine, great mpg, I-pod jack, and standard side curtain airbags.

Better noise insulation, greater rear window visibility & more front seat leg room.