Used 2008 Scion xD Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Scion xD

View reviews for a specific xD model:

Great little car
By Carl

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Two months into ownership and we are extremely pleased with the xD. We wanted something that would replace our Toyota Tacoma, which had given us wonderful reliability for 110,000 miles but the 23 mpg was killing me when I drove it for work (my cheap employer who still thinks gas costs $1.20 a gallon pays only 20 cents per mile). I drove the Yaris 4 dr and liked it very much but did not like the auto transmission and the lack of a hatchback. The Scion was just the ticket, exactly what I wanted. I rode the fence between this and the Fit, but I like the bigger tires and higher ride on this and the great stereo system. Best of all is the gas mileage. 44mp on the freeway!

44 MPG on the Interstate. That's driving 55 mph, not 70, at which point it drops to around 38 mph. If you are willing to drive sensibly and take your time, this little gal will save you some money at the pump. The iPod dock is great, but the stereo seems a little wimpy on power.

There is a flaw in the body design that worries me since we live in a high-salt area. A well is behind the tires where mud accumulates, as will salt and ice. This will cause premature corrosion. The cargo space could be bigger, but for passengers, there is plenty of room and its comfortable.

Incredible Mileage!!
By Vogl

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We love this car. We recently averaged 39.8 miles per gallon a trip through New Hampshire and got it up to 41.4 mpg at one point. The car is a great deal and has good storage space. We've got a 11 month old son and it fits his stroller, play yard and a duffel bag for long trips. The only critique I have is that I am 6' 2" tall and on long trips, the car isn't the most comfortable. It's snug in the back seat when I sit next to my son's car seat, but other than that it drives like a dream, turns on a dime and is a great buy!! Will definitely purchase Scion again!!

Turning radius, fuel efficiency

Add an inch or two more head room.

It's A Winner
By It's A Winner

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am a visiting Nurse and am in my car all day, going from patient to patient. Needed good MPG. Looked at Versa, Fit And Suzuki SX4. It was between XD and SX4, would buy this car again tomorrow. I LOVE it. It is fun to drive, fits anywhere and has good pick-up. Agree with need to decrease road noise, wish there was an armrest, and that doors lock when car is put in gear. I get many questions and compliments on my zippy red XD.

Appearance, excellent storage space for compact car, stereo and i-pod.

Decreased road noise, armrest and auto locking doors when placed in gear.

Drives Like A "Go Kart"
By coytheboy

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is a neat little car that drives like a sports car but gives you the feel that you are in a larger car that grips the road like a Jag. The xD is very responsive and well powered in spite of its economy. It reminds me a bit like a "Go Kart" the way it handles turns. On long trips she is very comfortable and the standard stereo is high quality. MPG is in the mid 30's which is great for such a peppy car. Only negative is that the mirror buttons and dimmer controls are not illuminated at night. No big deal but it would be nice.

Highly recommend the lock out tyranny for slippery snow covered or for gravel state game land roads found here in PA. Steering well stereo controls are a super item that comes standard.

Just that Scion illuminates every control on the car as mentioned above.

Great small car
By rob4668

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the manual transmission which took some getting used too. The clutch has a low contact point so it was easy to kill the engine on start. Shifting is a bit stiff also. Otherwise the car is very solid feeling and drives like a sports car. With seats down in back I can carry same amount as our Subaru Forester-quite a lot.

Navigation system